Best Personal Injury Law School Programs?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
the hispanic hope

Best Personal Injury Law School Programs?

Postby the hispanic hope » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Does anybody know law schools that have good personal injury programs, clinics, or courses?

I know that baylor has a personal injury trial program and that pacific mcgeorge offers some courses in personal injury.

thanks

jas5076

Re: Best Personal Injury Law School Programs?

Postby jas5076 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:56 pm

the hispanic hope wrote:Does anybody know law schools that have good personal injury programs, clinics, or courses?

I know that baylor has a personal injury trial program and that pacific mcgeorge offers some courses in personal injury.

thanks

I would say find a cheap one so you can buy a fast car to chase down those ambulances, and work on looking caring/considerate for those annoying ass TV commercials. :evil:

Rainmaker11

Postby Rainmaker11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 am

Here we go again.

Assuming this is not a flame; every accredited Law School in the country requires you take "torts". As for a specific focus or program, I am not aware of any.

steindle

Postby steindle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 am

Ipsa Dixit

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Any law school can prepare you for personal injury work. You will be required to take Torts where you will learn about civil wrongs. Take courses like trial advocacy, evidence, advanced torts, and alternate dispute resolution to gear yourself toward the line of work.

You'll get some flack for having this interest because of negative stereotypes associated with personal injury attorneys. This is an area of practice for which there will always be work and you get to help people.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndE5PdH1U1k

These ones are classic (Saiontz, Kirk and Miles)- "If you have a phone, you have a lawyer." Man those commercials take me back to my childhood days during summer break watching daytime reruns of Growing Pains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtdVDcYtPyk

the hispanic hope

Postby the hispanic hope » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Actually this was a serious post. Baylor's personal injury trial advocacy program looks legit, though Baylor is expensive.

ApplicantInWI

Postby ApplicantInWI » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:01 pm

jas5076 wrote:
the hispanic hope wrote:Does anybody know law schools that have good personal injury programs, clinics, or courses?

thanks

I would say find a cheap one so you can buy a fast car to chase down those ambulances, and work on looking caring/considerate for those annoying ass TV commercials. :evil:

"If you are ever injured in an accident, don't let the constant mail from lawyers bother you in this difficult time, instead remember this commercial that shows 8 times a day during this miserable time..Unlike those insensitive pricks that saturate that scan insurance claim and police report data to send out mailings, we feel like saturating the airwaves with these commercials featuring sensitive talking douche-bags better serves you.."

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:04 pm

If you're John-Edwards-good, then you can review a hundred cases for every one you accept. If not, well, there's a lot of competition.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:54 pm

This may not be your specific field of academic interest, but NYU's dog-bite specialty is second-to-none.

the hispanic hope

Postby the hispanic hope » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:54 am

I found out that Chicago Kent has a focus area in Personal Injury/Advanced Torts

http://www.kentlaw.edu/academics/curriculum.html

hmar78

Postby hmar78 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote="steindle"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndE5PdH1U1k[/quote

This video is hilarious. What the hec is going on in the background, Armageddon?

Postby 02082010 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:29 pm

hmar78 wrote:
steindle wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndE5PdH1U1k[/quote

This video is hilarious. What the hec is going on in the background, Armageddon?

hahahaha +1

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 pm

OP, in case you didn't already notice, personal injury law is not very well respected here on tls, and perhaps rightly so. If personal injury really is what you want to do, I would suggest going to the best school that you can attend for a relatively low cost, eg. in-state tuition, because I would not want to go into a great deal of debt if I was planning on pursuing a career in PI, as the odds of making a lot of money are not great. Don't worry about a school having a program in personal injury, as your first year curriculum at any law school should teach you what you need to know.

legal_penguin

Re: wholesale Brand Wallets

Postby legal_penguin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:00 pm

klmn853 wrote:100,000 Stores. Deals. Reviews.wholesale Brand Wallets & More!Save Extra 10% Off Wallets.Order Now & Get Free Shipping!

+1

solo_lawyer

Postby solo_lawyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:Any law school can prepare you for personal injury work.

Trust me, torts or any law school course has only a minimal connection to any real world law.

solo_lawyer

Postby solo_lawyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 pm

the hispanic hope wrote:I found out that Chicago Kent has a focus area in Personal Injury/Advanced Torts

like all law school courses, that is simply a cursory overview of the cases in that area of law.

NEWSFLASH-the cases really are not the major part of the law. Motion practice, depositions, discovery, prepping for trial, civil procedure, these are ALL far more important and much much harder to learn.

Law school is a scam in part because of the fact that it does not teach you how to practice.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 pm

solo_lawyer wrote:
the hispanic hope wrote:I found out that Chicago Kent has a focus area in Personal Injury/Advanced Torts

like all law school courses, that is simply a cursory overview of the cases in that area of law.

NEWSFLASH-the cases really are not the major part of the law. Motion practice, depositions, discovery, prepping for trial, civil procedure, these are ALL far more important and much much harder to learn.

Law school is a scam in part because of the fact that it does not teach you how to practice.

I wish someone would ban you already....

solo_lawyer

Postby solo_lawyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:03 pm

lawduder wrote:
solo_lawyer wrote:

I wish someone would ban you already....

how dare you speak back to me, 0L?

Postby 18488 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 pm

I really don't understand all the hatred of personal injury lawyers on this site. I worked at a plaintiff's firm for the second half of my first summer after law school, and had a great deal of respect for the lawyers I worked for. Their legal work product was excellent, and they had very high standards for writing/revising, and took motion practice to an insanely detailed level of preparation. They also made lots of money working on high profile cases against large corporations, and enjoyed what they did. They didn't have a single advertisement anywhere by the way.

Also, from what I can tell, TITCR:
the hispanic hope wrote:

so I don't understand the ban-talk. . .

That said, any law school can prepare you well for this practice.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 pm

In this damned economy, any school aside from HYS *is* preparing you for this practice. :evil:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:12 am

Its funny that everyone has such bad stuff to say about personal injury law when chances are, more than half of you will wind up working in the field when all is said and done.

Op: Assuming no flame.. Go to the cheapest and best ranked law school you can. Like every other area of law; law school won't teach you the first thing about being a good personal injury lawyer.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:46 am

If you like personal injury law I recommend you read A Civil Action

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 am

Borhas wrote:If you like personal injury law I recommend you read A Civil Action

The first few parts of "The verdict" are really more like it...

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”