Best schools for International Trade Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dgibbs

Best schools for International Trade Law?

Postby dgibbs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:00 pm

I am interested in studying International Trade Law, specifically as it applied to trade with East Asian countries (even more specifically, China). Does anyone have any insight as to which schools have particularly good programs for this? Any T14s in particular?

nikkei325i

Re: Best schools for International Trade Law?

Postby nikkei325i » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 am

I am interested too.
Also, does anyone know of universities in the East Asian countries that hold study abroad programs?
What is the possibility of working in these countries once I receive my degree?
What kind of work can I do?

Barry Zuckercorn

Postby Barry Zuckercorn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but Temple Law claim to be the only ABA approved law school with a campus and study abroad opportunity in Asia (Tokyo). Good luck!

M51

Postby M51 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:44 am

100% sure Columbia's #1 in the T14 for China Law. Don't know about the rest of east asia, but I figure it's good too.

edited: International law out. USWNR puts CLS at #2. But, I'm sure about China law. It's one of my areas of interest.
Last edited by M51 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:50 am

M51 wrote:100% sure Columbia's #1 in the T14 for general international law and for China Law.

That's not how USNews has seen it for the past few years: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law/internationall

Penn has a study abroad program in China, and you can gt a Chinese LLM with a few more months of study, too:
http://www.law.upenn.edu/international/studyabroad.html#tsinghua

I think UMich has a pretty good program for Japanese law, with an exchange at Waseda or something like that.

nikkei325i

Postby nikkei325i » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 pm

bwv812 wrote:I think UMich has a pretty good program for Japanese law, with an exchange at Waseda or something like that.

This is great although my chances of getting into UMich is slim. Do you know of any other law schools that offer this same exchange program with Waseda (or any other Japanese law school)?

chemist_14

Postby chemist_14 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:06 pm

I am also interested in doing international trade with, and have lived over there for a few years. There are lots of schools that have summer and semester programs all over developed & developing asia (I couldn't find a semester abroad sutdying burmese or Tajik law (lived there) , but then again i don't think they have laws or significant interantional trade) so even if you do not go to one that has it's own program you can still attend another college's program and get the credits.

Concerning working in Asia you've got to remember that prestiege matters even more to them than it does to ivy league snobs here in the US. So either go to a law school that they know (t-10) or get into a high profile firm a lateral after a few years. Client simply won't want you if your resume doesn't have something they can brag about (i know that is blunt, but hey).

Hope this helps, I know I only answered some of your questions.
Last edited by chemist_14 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Columbia Law is probably best overall. Michigan has a very strong program. I know Georgetown is good with international law but I know nothing about their international trade law program. Virginia has a very strong program as well, especially with regards to trade law with Russia.

absworkoutplan

Postby absworkoutplan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 pm

nikkei325i wrote:
bwv812 wrote:I think UMich has a pretty good program for Japanese law, with an exchange at Waseda or something like that.

This is great although my chances of getting into UMich is slim. Do you know of any other law schools that offer this same exchange program with Waseda (or any other Japanese law school)?

U. Penn offers that same study abroad opportunity as well. I'm not sure about any other schools, but Waseda claims to have relationships with Cornell and some others as well (though I don't know if this includes a study abroad program; maybe by request or something).

Edit: From their website, "WLS has tied up with law schools in foreign countries to provide our students with opportunities to study abroad and prepare for the globalization of legal services. At this point, our partner law schools include Columbia University, Cornell University, Duke University, University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, University of Washington in the U.S."

I don't know how many of the american schools out of the list actually send students to there, but U. Penn and U. Mich definitely.

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:49 pm

nikkei325i wrote:

Cornell has a program too.

Mark71121

Postby Mark71121 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 pm

You generally don't want to stray too far away from the basic USNews rankings, even when looking at specialty programs.

Specialty rankings might be helpful for deciding if Columbia's program is better than NYU's or Chicago's, but you would probably be making a mistake choosing Columbia over Yale for anything, regardless of the specialty rankings say.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 am

Cornell
Columbia
Georgetown

possibly in that order. I'm pretty sure that's the order for LLM study anyway. Cornell definitely has programs in China (both semester study and summer study). This is all from what I've heard though, ... this isn't my area of interest and I haven't done the research.

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:28 am

The best school for "International Trade Law" or any other category you can dream up is pretty much going to be the same as the best school for anything else.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”