Harvard Law v. Stanford Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Harvard Law School
46%
Stanford Law School
54%

Total votes: 426

underdawg

Re: Harvard Law v. Stanford Law

Postby underdawg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah as much as I would like to be going to a school higher ranked than Harvard...those rankings are crap.

LvJenna

Postby LvJenna » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 pm

Harvard, no question about it!

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:10 pm

^
wtf

argo

Postby argo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 am

cfishy305 wrote:dude harvard.

c'mon stanford is sick... but we ARE talking about the H-BOMB... i would take H over Y too... H is the holy grail. to me at least.

TITCR

lawdog

Postby lawdog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:05 am

Harvard. Unless Stanford is free.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:28 am

underdawg wrote:See how we've made progress from the "Take Harvard cause it's Harvard. Duh!" philosophy?

Some of the posts in this thread are shameful. If you are going to give advice here, first ask yourself whether you are basing your recommendation on any pertinent statistics or on any special information the author has given you about his circumstances/aspirations. If the OP were as much of a shallow prestige whore as are the posters underdawg is condemning, he wouldn't have bothered coming here for reasoned advice in the first place.

chup

Postby chup » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:43 am

Whatever you do, DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE ON THE INTERNETZ.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:43 am

chup wrote:Whatever you do, DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE ON THE INTERNETZ.

Then we shouldn't listen to you.

STFU.

lol

Kevin '11

Postby Kevin '11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:01 am

Ecureuil, I won't try to give you an obviously biased opinion, so instead, why don't you email Toby Stock and Faye Deal. Ask them each to put you in touch with one or two current students who chose their school over the other, or better yet, a student who transfered to their school from the other. It may be tough to get in contact with a student this time of year, but it's worth a shot, and what they say might give you a new perspective on your decision.

Anne of Green Gables

Postby Anne of Green Gables » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:46 am

Kevin '11 wrote:Ecureuil, I won't try to give you an obviously biased opinion

Why would your opinion strike the OP as being "obviously biased"? Do you think everyone on TLS has memorized the names of all of the prestigious incoming HLS and SLS students, or did you just want to point out that you will be going to one of those schools?

parkway45

Postby parkway45 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:01 am

Kevin '11 wrote:Ecureuil, I won't try to give you an obviously biased opinion, so instead, why don't you email Toby Stock and Faye Deal. Ask them each to put you in touch with one or two current students who chose their school over the other, or better yet, a student who transfered to their school from the other. It may be tough to get in contact with a student this time of year, but it's worth a shot, and what they say might give you a new perspective on your decision.

I got into both HLS and SLS, and would be glad to talk about my choice (SLS)...

parkway45

Postby parkway45 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:06 am

And FWIW, I found HLS to be wonderfully enticing, but ultimately underwhelming...it really is a numbers place, where 800 x gpa and x lsat students get in every year. As my good friend, and HLS 2L says, Harvard Law is a factory...

But I would have been plenty happy there b/c hls is a sweet deal. (however if I stayed on the east coast, I would have picked yale...)

there is no wrong choice.

boston101

Postby boston101 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:22 pm

underdawg wrote:I feel that if I had tried to phrase what I said in some sort of diplomatic manner, more people would agree with me. :?

you are extremely undiplomatic when it comes to talking about prestige. And the best part is youre going to a T5 (why didnt you take a full ride from a T20-30??), and you know that in the T5 the large majority of people are "prestige whores." Ask them, who woulda gone to HLS if they got in. Then when 95% say they would, ask them how many responded that way solely based on prestige. You will find you are surrounded by prestige whores. If youre always talking down to people that care about prestige when they decide how to spend 180K, its gonna be tough to make friends and network at your school.

Kevin '11

Postby Kevin '11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Anne of Green Gables wrote:

Why would your opinion strike the OP as being "obviously biased"? Do you think everyone on TLS has memorized the names of all of the prestigious incoming HLS and SLS students, or did you just want to point out that you will be going to one of those schools?

Your post is obnoxious. I was just saying that I'd rather not try to convince the OP how awesome a certain school is without disclosing that I am going there. Way to take a dozen words of someone's post and try to pick a fight, though. If this is how you act on the Internet you must just get along great with people in real life.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 pm

boston101 wrote:
underdawg wrote:I feel that if I had tried to phrase what I said in some sort of diplomatic manner, more people would agree with me. :?

you are extremely undiplomatic when it comes to talking about prestige. And the best part is youre going to a T5 (why didnt you take a full ride from a T20-30??), and you know that in the T5 the large majority of people are "prestige whores." Ask them, who woulda gone to HLS if they got in. Then when 95% say they would, ask them how many responded that way solely based on prestige. You will find you are surrounded by prestige whores. If youre always talking down to people that care about prestige when they decide how to spend 180K, its gonna be tough to make friends and network at your school.

LAY PRESTIGE =/= JOB OPPORTUNITIES!!! HOW HARD IS THIS TO UNDERSTAND? I WOULD ENCOURAGE SOMEONE TO GO TO HARVARD OVER CCN!

STANFORD AND HARVARD ARE EQUALLY GOOD LAW SCHOOLS, HENCE, PRESTIGE SHOULD NOT BE USED TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE TWO!

OMFG

A prestige whore is not someone who goes to the best school they get into. A prestige whore is someone who chooses schools mostly based on what people (who will have nothing to do with their career) will think of their school.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Kevin '11 wrote:

Your post is obnoxious. I was just saying that I'd rather not try to convince the OP how awesome a certain school is without disclosing that I am going there. Way to take a dozen words of someone's post and try to pick a fight, though. If this is how you act on the Internet you must just get along great with people in real life.

Her point was with the word "obvious" which you just gloss over in your response there. Nice. :roll:

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:47 pm

NOICE.

Kevin '11

Postby Kevin '11 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:06 pm

underdawg wrote:
Kevin '11 wrote:

Her point was with the word "obvious" which you just gloss over in your response there. Nice. :roll:

It would be an obviously biased opinion if I said "I'll be going to XYZ and it's the best school ever, so you should go too." It is not obvious where I'm going to school. Thus my usage of the words "obviously biased opinion" and not "since it's obvious where I'm going to law school, I'll just say...". Anne's misinterpretation can make sense if you want it to, but it's pretty clear she's just looking for a reason to be grouchy with people over the internet.

The_Wall

Postby The_Wall » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:48 pm

What I'd like to know is how underdawg didn't wind up making this decision.

Outright rejection from Harvard with a 177 and a 3.9? See, it's stuff like this that makes people like me think it's not just a numbers game which in turn makes people like me wish we'd written a couple articles for the fucking school newspaper.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I didn't get in Stanford either lest people think I'm just bitter against HLS!

The_Wall

Postby The_Wall » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:52 pm

And Chicago waitlisted you.

This is very depressing, underdawg. I hope you wrote your personal statement on how to bugger cows without the rancher noticing.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm

I'm well aware, thanks.

The_Wall

Postby The_Wall » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Don't get me wrong. It's all very nice.

It just makes my 175 feel very anxious and inadequate.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:58 pm

No one cares.

chup

Postby chup » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I was unaware that the Lounge is now exporting its animosity to other forums. Bully!

UD's definition of a prestige whore is pretty dead-on. There are good reasons to choose Stanford over Harvard, and there are probably good reasons to choose Harvard over Stanford. But lay prestige is not one of them. If it were, we'd all be vying for über prestigious Princeton Law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”