W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigpoppanate
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:20 pm

W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

Postby bigpoppanate » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:19 pm

(if this is in the wrong forum, please move it.)

My status as an extreme splitter means that all conventional wisdom was thrown out the window during my cycle.

I was accepted at W&L in March, and they offered 5K/year about a week later. It was by far my best option at the time, and I paid the 4/15 deposit. As June grew closer, I withdrew from a few 2/3/4 tiers and took myself off other T25 waiting lists. I wrote LOCI to SMU and NWestern, both of whom kept me on the waiting list.

A week or so later, SMU called and offered me a place, PLUS 20K/year. Because I would be absolutely happy living/practicing in Dallas and would much rather be there than in VA, I accepted it. I then withdrew from W&L, thanked them for their consideration and offer. A few days later, they emailed back asking what it might take if I had withdrawn for financial reasons. I emailed them back thanking them again for their offer and consideration, but that the other offer was such that I probably wouldn't go to W&L for any reason. Got an email back offering 30K/year at W&L. That's an incredibly hard offer to turn down, no matter how much I'd rather live in Dallas. A T25 school for 90K off the sticker price?

I have considered calling SMU just to let them know, but my pre-law advisor said not to do so; it would just piss them off and they might tell me to shove it and take the offer from W&L.

What say you, folks? I would like to decide by tomorrow. I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm after all the input I can get.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

Postby bwv812 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:38 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick07
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

Postby Mick07 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Strange, I couldn't negotiate an extra penny from W&L (I tried both Admissions people) and I had offers from Fordham/BU. I guess I should have just withdrawn and hoped for a better offer haha.

high4ever2008
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 am

Re: W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

Postby high4ever2008 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 pm

SMU has very good placement in TX biglaw. W&L has a good studying environment and a strong academic program. But I would go with SMU if you don't mind living in TX. If you are interested in W&L mainly for the ranking, that's not a good enough reason to attend W&L over SMU. Outside of the T10/T14, the rankings do not matter as much.

a_uberboy
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 am

Re: W&L v. SMU (scholarship negotiation)

Postby a_uberboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:53 pm

bwv812 wrote:
bigpoppanate wrote:I have considered calling SMU just to let them know, but my pre-law advisor said not to do so; it would just piss them off and they might tell me to shove it and take the offer from W&L.


Call SMU and be tactful. They aren't going to rescind their offer, and they'l probably pony up a few extra bucks. At any rate, it sounds like being in Dallas is worth the 10k price difference (actually, I don't know the tuition/COL, but assuming similar figures for both) to you. Unless you're sure you can do well at W&L, I'm not sure if it has enough national reach if you don't want to be in Va.


that's odd advice from a pre law adviser. I cannot see why they would rescind a acceptance / scholarship offer just because you asked for more.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], theorangewon, whippersnappery and 4 guests