JAG

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WhatAmIDoing123

New

JAG

Postby WhatAmIDoing123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Hey y'all,

If I am considering JAG, does it matter which school I choose? I am currently in between GW and Emory law. I want to work a federal job, so I am leaning towards GW for the networking opportunities. However, it would be cheaper to go to Emory. Any advice?

bergers2short

New

Re: JAG

Postby bergers2short » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm

If you're dead set on going JAG, take the cheaper price tag. You can always have the military pay for your LLM at GW (big program there) and get your fed employment networking done then. If you're on the fence about JAG, GW could outweigh a small price difference in terms of externship opportunities. If you can spend a semester or 2 in DC through Emory either getting credit for externships up here and/or taking classes at GW, you could have the best of both worlds. Best of luck with your decision.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:15 am

May I provide an alternative perspective? Your school name follows you for the rest of your life and It's unlikely you will spend your entire career in the military. I suggest going with the best ranked school.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 am

Voyager wrote:May I provide an alternative perspective? Your school name follows you for the rest of your life and It's unlikely you will spend your entire career in the military. I suggest going with the best ranked school.

Here, the two schools are ranked about the same, so this is bad advice if the price tag is substantially cheaper.

Mccoyology

New

Postby Mccoyology » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Voyager wrote:May I provide an alternative perspective? Your school name follows you for the rest of your life and It's unlikely you will spend your entire career in the military. I suggest going with the best ranked school.

This is terrible advice, you can PM me, but I can tell you first hand I had a Jag who went to NCCU, Harvard, Michigan, SU. The military isn't like Big Law, I know people from these top schools who were essentially rejected. JAG CORPS isn't like most typical law routes and anyone who says you need to be T13 to be a jag has no damn clue about the military, least of all the Jag Corps

NonPracticingT1Grad

New

Postby NonPracticingT1Grad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am

Take the lower cost, similarly-ranked school. Spend your non-JAG summer working in DC (or both summers if you don't do a JAG internship).

smadha01

New

Postby smadha01 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 am

What is JAG? Is that a special military program?

mysonx3

New

Postby mysonx3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am

smadha01 wrote:What is JAG? Is that a special military program?

JAG = Judge Advocate General = military lawyer

Return to “Choosing a Law School�