Miami vs UF/ National ND recognition

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LegalComedian

New

Miami vs UF/ National ND recognition

Postby LegalComedian » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Have been accepted into Miami and UF law. Full scholarships to both. Eventually want to end up back in Miami, but really looking to work for IJ in DC before that. Other factors certainly play in there (fed soc, ties, etc), but in a vacuum, which is a better choice? UF is higher ranked but from what I hear, Miami is more respected among local firms and BigLaw offices. It also has higher bar pass rate and employment stats. Lastly, Miami's new President has talked about investing highly in the law school, so the ranking should hopefully been going up.

Also accepted to Notre Dame with partial scholarship, but not sure the name carries outside the Midwest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Miami vs UF/ National ND recognition

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm

LegalComedian wrote:but really looking to work for IJ in DC before that.

I'm going to avoid making a bunch of jokes about libertarians and just say that IJ and biglaw are totally different career tracks. I'm not sure how easy it would be to transition back to Miami after spending significant time in DC working for an organization that has no real relationship to private practice in Florida.

In terms of UF vs. Miami, I'll defer to Florida locals, but I believe I've heard that Miami is better at placing in Miami. Their employment numbers are relatively similar (biglaw is incredibly hard to land from either), so if that information about Miami is correct, it sounds like the right choice for you. Notre Dame should not even be in consideration.

dudeknows

New

Postby dudeknows » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm

LegalComedian wrote:Have been accepted into Miami and UF law. Full scholarships to both. Eventually want to end up back in Miami, but really looking to work for IJ in DC before that. Other factors certainly play in there (fed soc, ties, etc), but in a vacuum, which is a better choice? UF is higher ranked but from what I hear, Miami is more respected among local firms and BigLaw offices. It also has higher bar pass rate and employment stats. Lastly, Miami's new President has talked about investing highly in the law school, so the ranking should hopefully been going up.

Also accepted to Notre Dame with partial scholarship, but not sure the name carries outside the Midwest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure where you are hearing that UM Is more respected, from my experience it is the opposite. That is especially so when it comes to biglaw. I think UF outperforms UM in almost every metric in Miami and would be surprised if UM does any better DC too. If you do well at UF, you will have almost every door open to you in the city.

I won't speak on DC cause I just don't know about that. But as a UFer, I personally know classmates that went to DC from UF.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: A ton of people on this forum are completely uninformed on the Miami market (just look at other Miami threads). I think that the majority of poster that speak about Miami are actually in a T14 school, which routinely do very poorly in placing their students in the market. That creates this strange bias on the forum where it seems impossible to land a biglaw job coming out of any school, much less UF or UM. But the reality of the situation is that if you do well (top 20%) in either school, you have a fighting chance at landing a good job in the city (maybe not a V50 firm, but a respected shop). Of course, as you go up the rankings the probability increases until you get to around the top 5%, at which point it is almost guaranteed that you land a cush job, unless you are a complete weirdo. Also, UF's ranges for getting a good job are probably better--top 20% student at UF has a better shot than top 20% at UM.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm

dudeknows wrote:
MORE IMPORTANTLY: A ton of people on this forum are completely uninformed on the Miami market (just look at other Miami threads). I think that the majority of poster that speak about Miami are actually in a T14 school, which routinely do very poorly in placing their students in the market. That creates this strange bias on the forum where it seems impossible to land a biglaw job coming out of any school, much less UF or UM. But the reality of the situation is that if you do well (top 20%) in either school, you have a fighting chance at landing a good job in the city (maybe not a V50 firm, but a respected shop). Of course, as you go up the rankings the probability increases until you get to around the top 5%, at which point it is almost guaranteed that you land a cush job, unless you are a complete weirdo. Also, UF's ranges for getting a good job are probably better--top 20% student at UF has a better shot than top 20% at UM.

That's not unusual for any decent regional school. And if you could do anything to guarantee you place in the top 20% of your class, it sounds like a great deal. But since you can't guarantee you'll even be in the top half...

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Yeah top 20% is a pretty big if. Remember, everyone thinks they're going to do it, but 8 out of 10 don't.

dudeknows

New

Postby dudeknows » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Totally agree with both posters above. It’s definitely an upstream battle. All I was trying to note is that theres a ton of misinformed people posting about the Miami market on TLS. That’s all.

And also, UF is a better school in the state, no matter what city you plan on practicing in. Moreover, for the average person it’ll be easier to focus on school in Gainesville. Which is important because you need to do very well at either school to achieve your goals (DC/biglaw). I know some people are more disciplined than others, but if you doubt your ability to avoid distractions (beach, clubs, events, etc...), go to UF. IMO

Bottom line, think about what environment is best for you to succeed. But keep in mind that UF is probably (it is) a better school, all else being equal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?