SoCal Biglaw--UCLA vs. Berkeley/NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sc2312

New

SoCal Biglaw--UCLA vs. Berkeley/NYU

Post by sc2312 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi all,
I don't have many acquaintances practicing law in Socal so I'm turning to veterans on TLS. I'm currently a LA resident and want to stay in California in the long-run. So far I've gotten into NYU, Michigan (90k), Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, and USC (full ride). I'm leaning towards UCLA (hopefully with decent scholarship) as my family and boyfriend are in the area, but am hesitant to give up higher ranking T-14 schools. If my ambition is to practice big law in LA, am I making a smart decision by choosing UCLA over higher ranking T-14s? To be quite honest, my boyfriend's preference to stay in Los Angeles is a huge variable in my decision, but I want to be level-headed and also make the smartest decision for myself. UCLA seems to place quite well in LA but not so much NYU (only 6% land in CA usually), not sure about Berkeley. Thanks for your time in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: SoCal Biglaw--UCLA vs. Berkeley/NYU

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:45 pm

NYU places fine in California, but most people who go to NYU aren't looking to head to the West Coast.

However, you need to wait on scholarship offers to make a fully informed decision. If Berkeley gives you a good offer, that would be ideal for your goals.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: SoCal Biglaw--UCLA vs. Berkeley/NYU

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Everything Cavalier said is correct.

I'm surprised you haven't thought harder about that USC offer; I'd definitely take it over UCLA unless the latter offers you something similar.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”