W&M (134k) v. Boulder (126k) for JAG? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
juicetrain76

New

W&M (134k) v. Boulder (126k) for JAG?

Post by juicetrain76 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Hey all,

I'm an unimpressive splitter (2.7/164) with a few acceptances, but above are the two best offers I've received so far. While W&M was my number one choice this admissions cycle, I was pleasantly surprised by Boulder's scholarship offer that I received today. So just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the decision I've got in front of me.

A little about myself: I'm a senior at a public undergrad school in Virginia looking to become a JAG Officer, hopefully in the Navy. I will be funding my education entirely with student loans. I'm a California native, and so my ultimate goal following a career in JAG is to go into govt work back home in California (thinking Deputy State AG/City Attorney RN, but am open to opportunities as they come). I'm interested in pursuing a clerkship following graduation, but this isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm still waiting on decisions from W&L, Wake, GW, and on scholly info from Richmond & GMU, but feel pretty set on going to W&M. This is still my preference for the following reasons:

Strong employment placement in California

Hampton Roads area is very close to many military bases/strong military community

Veteran's Clinic

Currently go to school in the Richmond/HR area, love the W&M campus

Solid clerkship placement

With that being said, just wanted to get perspective on the decision. Both schools offer LRAPs that are pretty much identical, both offer summer public service funding. I know from either school that I could get some form of summer employment in California (which is important to me), since I did very basic legal research for a small employment law firm in the Bay Area that's offered to have me back during law school summers. I'm inclined to try and negotiate the scholarship with W&M, but am apprehensive about doing so due to my unimpressive stats. Any thoughts?
Last edited by juicetrain76 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juicetrain76

New

Re: W&M (134k) v. Boulder (126k) for JAG?

Post by juicetrain76 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:55 pm

This is probably a negligible difference financially, but I should also mention that my family is in love with W&M and has offered to pay for my textbooks if I deposit there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”