Belmont Full ride vs Arkansas vs Vandy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bhillbilly

New

Belmont Full ride vs Arkansas vs Vandy

Post by bhillbilly » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:45 pm

I have a full ride to Belmont and 75% off tuition at University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I also applied to Vandy but haven't heard back yet. I had an alumni interview at Vandy on Nov 12th. I'm an URM, 3.6 GPA and 157 LSAT, with strong LORs and campus involvement. I have to tell Belmont if I accept in 2 days...opinions on if I should accept full ride at Belmont OR withdraw my app from Belmont, risk not getting into Vandy and go to Arkansas instead??

Npret

Gold

Re: Belmont Full ride vs Arkansas vs Vandy

Post by Npret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:56 pm

bhillbilly wrote:I have a full ride to Belmont and 75% off tuition at University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I also applied to Vandy but haven't heard back yet. I had an alumni interview at Vandy on Nov 12th. I'm an URM, 3.6 GPA and 157 LSAT, with strong LORs and campus involvement. I have to tell Belmont if I accept in 2 days...opinions on if I should accept full ride at Belmont OR withdraw my app from Belmont, risk not getting into Vandy and go to Arkansas instead??
To be helpful at all, we need to know your goals. What do you want to do and where do you want to live?

That said, however, I’ve never even heard of Belmont and the fact they are pressuring you to accept in 2 days is a huge red flag to me. No reputable school does that, outside of taking people off the waitlist at the very end of the admissions cycle.
I would turn them down and look elsewhere.

Edit to add - here’s Belmont’s report from LST https://www.lstreports.com/schools/belmont/
Doing more research I see they only started in 2011, they are a Christian school and they’ve only been fully accredited for two years. I don’t feel confident recommending them, but I’m completely ignorant about it and don’t know how much you value a Christian education.

I’m seeming to remember that law schools can’t force you to withdraw other apps. @Qcontinuum - do you or anyone else who has been here a while know if Belmont can force OP to withdraw other apps if OP accepts the scholarship?
Last edited by Npret on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Don't go to Belmont. Arkansas with money if you want to work in Arkansas (or maybe western TN) is way way better than Belmont.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:06 pm

nixy wrote:Don't go to Belmont. Arkansas with money if you want to work in Arkansas (or maybe western TN) is way way better than Belmont.
Yeah, this is the right call.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Npret wrote:I’m seeming to remember that law schools can’t force you to withdraw other apps. @Qcontinuum - do you or anyone else who has been here a while know if Belmont can force OP to withdraw other apps if OP accepts the scholarship?
Correct. Per LSAC, law schools may not require applicants to withdraw from schools from which they have not yet received a decision as a condition of accepting a scholarship or any other type of offer. (However, law schools can require applicants to withdraw from schools where they've already been admitted.) See https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... hool-scams

So OP need not withdraw their Vandy application. That said, OP should not, IMO, attend Belmont.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”