UVA sticker or W&M free for AUSA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
0L_arguendo

New

UVA sticker or W&M free for AUSA?

Post by 0L_arguendo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi all,

I've got acceptances at both UVA and William and Mary. I have a scholly at 100$ at W&M and nothing from UVA. My goal is to become an AUSA in a flyover district or an ADA in a small town. I'm trying to pick the school that will give me a decent shot at both. I have no interest in Biglaw, so my theoretical route would be clerk-->ADA-->AUSA. Also, I am worried about my eligibility for UVA LRAP because my fiance is a physician.

Any advice?

QContinuum

Re: UVA sticker or W&M free for AUSA?

Post by QContinuum » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Congrats on your offers!

Did you apply to any other schools? (If not, you definitely should.) You should have more options than a T13 at sticker or a T1 with full scholly. Assuming you applied to the other T13/T20s, you should have additional results come in over the next few months - it's still super early in the cycle.

If you absolutely must choose between your two current offers, you should attend UVA. School rank/prestige wouldn't really matter if you wanted to be a local public defender, but it's absolutely critical for getting a good clerkship and becoming an AUSA. (And why are you preemptively limiting yourself to a small town/"flyover" district? It's certainly fine if you'd prefer to live somewhere more rural for personal reasons, but as a T13 student, you'd absolutely be in the running for a more competitive district.) Make no mistake: I'm not saying W&M's a bad school; it isn't. But it isn't in the same league as UVA. UVA had "good outcomes" (BigLaw or federal clerkships) for 79% of its class of 2017. W&M only produced such outcomes for 29% of its class of 2017. That's night and day. Sure, you'd be fine if you managed to land in the top 10-20% at W&M. But you can't guarantee that - law school grades aren't predictable ex ante, and the fact that you were admitted to UVA doesn't guarantee that you'd outperform 80-90% of your classmates at W&M. On the other hand, you'd be fine at UVA even if you were to end up substantially below median. A full-tuition scholly is worth a lot - but I don't think it's worth trading a 79% placement rate for a 29% rate.

But again, though, the best choice will likely be one of the other T13s with a substantial scholly, or a T20 with a very big/full scholly. If you were to get into, say, Cornell with $$$, that'd likely be a better choice than either UVA at sticker or W&M for free.

New

Post by 5571 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Agree with all points above. I basically blanketed T13 last year and got $ from UVA but $$$ from their peer schools, so I would definitely consider applying more broadly. Also, I thought I hadn't gotten any money from UVA for several months after getting in until I got my award via snail mail in late Winter, so it may just be that they haven't decided how much to give you yet. I believe several others had a similar experience last year with UVA so that may just be how they do scholarships

tada77

New

Post by tada77 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Nobody has been awarded anything from UVA yet - They said they would start awarding merit-based scholarships in late February and need-based would be handled in March. So, you won't know till then if you're being asked to pay sticker or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”