UC Irvine vs. Retake? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ShirokaneTakanawa18

New

UC Irvine vs. Retake?

Post by ShirokaneTakanawa18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:03 am

Hi guys,

Just trying to get some friendly advice. Briefly, I’m 29 years old, non-traditional applicant that took the LSAT and applied February/March of this year. 3.3GPA/166 at the time. Didn’t bother applying to any of the T14. The best acceptances were:

BU: 75k
UC Irvine: 75K
GWU: 105K

I wasn’t happy with my initial score, but applied just to see how things would turn out. I retook in June and got slightly higher (169), but bombed the logic games section only, so I’m DYING to retake the test and see how I do when I actually finish the test. Like, I didn’t even answer the questions of the last game. Now, my questions are:

1) Let’s play conservative and say this 3rd take doesn’t go hot, so I’m working with the 169. In this worst case scenario, is it likely that I will get into a better school than UC Irvine at 75k? (This is the only school that I can attend this year because I didn’t pay the deposits).

2) My goal is T13 BigLaw Abroad. Is ED recommended assuming my best score is the 169? UVA ED?

3) Should I even bother applying to BU and GWU again?

Thanks,

beinghuman

Re: UC Irvine vs. Retake?

Post by beinghuman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Do these numbers reflect total scholarships? Or yearly COA?
If your goal is T13, given your GPA, an ED would make sense but you should pick a school that you actually want- not randomly.
And yes, you can certainly reapply to BU and GWU if you want, you will however need to explain in an addendum why you did not attend this year.
ShirokaneTakanawa18 wrote:Hi guys,

Just trying to get some friendly advice. Briefly, I’m 29 years old, non-traditional applicant that took the LSAT and applied February/March of this year. 3.3GPA/166 at the time. Didn’t bother applying to any of the T14. The best acceptances were:

BU: 75k
UC Irvine: 75K
GWU: 105K

I wasn’t happy with my initial score, but applied just to see how things would turn out. I retook in June and got slightly higher (169), but bombed the logic games section only, so I’m DYING to retake the test and see how I do when I actually finish the test. Like, I didn’t even answer the questions of the last game. Now, my questions are:

1) Let’s play conservative and say this 3rd take doesn’t go hot, so I’m working with the 169. In this worst case scenario, is it likely that I will get into a better school than UC Irvine at 75k? (This is the only school that I can attend this year because I didn’t pay the deposits).

2) My goal is T13 BigLaw Abroad. Is ED recommended assuming my best score is the 169? UVA ED?

3) Should I even bother applying to BU and GWU again?

Thanks,

futurelawyermike

New

Post by futurelawyermike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:07 pm

1) Yes it's likely to get into a better school with better LSAT score.

2) ED helps a tiny bit but you can't count on getting a scholarship if you ED.

3) Probably not.

I would go to UCI if I were you. It's not worth it spending 1 year just to reapply. You'll make the difference with your 1-year salary and 1-year experience at UCI compared to going to another school.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm

futurelawyermike wrote:1) Yes it's likely to get into a better school with better LSAT score.

2) ED helps a tiny bit but you can't count on getting a scholarship if you ED.

3) Probably not.

I would go to UCI if I were you. It's not worth it spending 1 year just to reapply. You'll make the difference with your 1-year salary and 1-year experience at UCI compared to going to another school.

This is not necessarily true. I am not sure what UCI's average salary is, but if OP is median and ends up making $80k a year when they could've reapplied to a t13 and made $190k per year, that one year salary isn't going to mean that much. Whether OP should reapply is not a guarantee. If you had gotten just one or two more points I'd say definitely re-apply, but there is a chance you might not get into any t13 with a 169 and a 3.3. I think you will get in to some, but not guaranteed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”