Transfer to NYU? Or stay T2 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TransferHopeful2k18

New

Transfer to NYU? Or stay T2

Post by TransferHopeful2k18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey all,

Accepted as a transfer to NYU, 3.9 GPA, 171 LSAT, rank 20-25, top ~6-7%. On a journal but not Law Review, and did not get on to Moot Court. Currently interning for a federal judge.

Currently at a regional T2 (Cardozo/Brooklyn/St.John's) on a full ride, but will still leave with ~80-90k in loans for living expenses.

Transferring to NYU would cost me about an additional ~90k in debt per year, so finishing about ~205k in loans total.

My goal is a prestigious public interest firm. Also would consider doing 3 years of big-law to put a dent in my debt before attempting to transition into PI. These goals are pretty much the same regardless of whether I transfer or not.

Is it worth giving up my GPA, going up against smarter/more hard-working students, and taking an additional ~125k in loans? I feel like I may be able to obtain the same big-law type of positions right out of school, but I feel like the NYU name might carry more weight further down the line in my career. NYU also has a great public interest loan repayment program if I were to go into PI right out of school (for 10 years). I am scared of taking on so much debt, but I also feel pressure to go to a prestigious school and be able to say that I graduated from a school as highly respected as NYU, and benefit from being around/challenged by more intelligent students.

Are there any transfers from these regional T2 type schools that have gone to NYU - and do you regret it? Or was it a good decision?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TransferHopeful2k18

New

Re: Transfer to NYU? Or stay T2

Post by TransferHopeful2k18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 am

Bump

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am

205k seems like a really insane amount of debt to take on for any type of professional program. It is essentially a mortgage with no house.

If you KNOW you want to pursue PI and the loan forgiveness program will be accessible, go for it. If big law firms is a serious consideration, make sure to speak some 3L from NYU to gain confidence about your background qualifying for a job in big law. From what I understand, most PI work doesn't really require a high-ranking school, so cost is usually the biggest consideration.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am

Synapse2018 wrote:205k seems like a really insane amount of debt to take on for any type of professional program. It is essentially a mortgage with no house.

If you KNOW you want to pursue PI and the loan forgiveness program will be accessible, go for it. If big law firms is a serious consideration, make sure to speak some 3L from NYU to gain confidence about your background qualifying for a job in big law. From what I understand, most PI work doesn't really require a high-ranking school, so cost is usually the biggest consideration.
It really depends on what sort of PI you are looking to do. If you are looking to do indigent criminal defense, school doesn't matter. If you are looking to work for the ACLU national office, it would be ideal to attend Yale.

To the OP- I would strongly consider going to NYU, but you need to be very honest with yourself what career track you are looking for. There's no question its a gamble to take on that much debt. If you are comfortable living very cheaply (perhaps with relatives) for 3-5 years post law school that will go a long way towards the debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”