Quality of legal education in lower ranked schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
futureJDstudent

New

Quality of legal education in lower ranked schools

Post by futureJDstudent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Is is possible to acquire excellent lawyering skills in a poorly-ranked school?

Or do T3/T4 schools lack qualified faculty for that?

Example: California Western Law School. Yes, I know about their bar passage rate, employment score, etc.
But what I would like to know - will I be able to get a strong foundation/legal skills there?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: Quality of legal education in lower ranked schools

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes it's possible- one of the best/most successful lawyers I know who now pulls millions a year went to Cooley. That said, he is more the exception than the norm.

beinghuman

Re: Quality of legal education in lower ranked schools

Post by beinghuman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:58 pm

It's possible but you would need to work VERY hard on your own for it.
Moreover, you develop your skills through various practical work that you do during law school and going to a T3/T4 school might limit your options there in terms of externships, summer internships, etc.
Finally, if you graduate from a T3/T4 school, you might not be be able put these skills into practice should you develop them due to bad employment outcomes.

futureJDstudent wrote:Is is possible to acquire excellent lawyering skills in a poorly-ranked school?

Or do T3/T4 schools lack qualified faculty for that?

Example: California Western Law School. Yes, I know about their bar passage rate, employment score, etc.
But what I would like to know - will I be able to get a strong foundation/legal skills there?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”