Michigan ($150K) vs. Harvard (WITH POLL) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan ($150K) vs. Harvard ($60k?)

Michigan ($150k)
50%
Harvard ($60k?)
50%

Total votes: 48

philiptouch

New

Michigan ($150K) vs. Harvard (WITH POLL)

Post by philiptouch » Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Dear TLS members,

This is my second post after the Michigan ($150k) vs. Texas (full-ride) post, and I appreciate everyone who's commented so helpfully on it. Here's my next conundrum:

I've been waitlisted at Harvard since late March and wasn't really expecting much out of it, until couple days ago when HLS reached out with its interview request (one of last ones I presume). And the waitlist policy at HLS is that I'll be given only 24 hours to accept the offer should it be extended. So I figured I'd have to make up my mind well before the decision moment comes, just in case it ever does.

While by remaining on the waitlist, Harvard said that I agree to accept the admission offer should it be extended, but in all honesty, I am not 100% committed to HLS at this point, and hoping this is not some kind of lying or agreement breach (I emailed HLS for clarification on this but haven't heard back).

So assuming I can still make the final decision on HLS if and when it does offer its admission, I would appreciate some kind souls' contribution to my decision process.

Until two days ago, I was dead set on attending U of Michigan with its generous $150k merit scholarship (and withdrew all the other applications except Harvard). I am still leaning towards Michigan, but I wanted to make sure Michigan over HLS is not an unwise decision in the long run and was wondering what informed TLS members would generally think of my situation in particular.

Michigan: $150k; COA at 118k
Harvard: guessing somewhere between 45k and 60k (possibly much lower too given I am single and don't have any dependent); COA at $280k

My numbers: LSAT: 171 (took twice), UGPA: 3.93

I am pursuing PI after law school, so the amount of debt is one of biggest concerns for me. I visited Michigan for its Preview Weekend and quite liked the campus and the area, and I visited Harvard campus a while ago, and I wasn't that thrilled about it in general.

So my question comes down to: Is going to Michigan with $150k a wise decision for a PI track (not super ambitious) over going to HLS?

Although HLS boasts the venerable T3 status and unequaled lay prestige (especially abroad), I personally prefer Michigan to Harvard in almost every aspect, e.g., expected cost of attendance, school culture, size, location, housing (love Lawyer's Club while meh about Harvard's housing options). I wasn't sure if all the advantages of HLS degree down the road in my PI career can justify the $150k COA difference (if not more) and likely lower happiness while in law school. All in all, given my interest in public interest law, and I don't have the greatest ambition, I think Harvard doesn't necessarily have an edge over Michigan, especially given Michigan's generous scholarship, so it may just come down to my personal preference between the two.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on it! (and pardon my long post)

P.S. This is the same post as the earlier one, but with an addition of the poll. Since there seems to be no editing option, I am posting an entirely new post with exactly the same content, so forgive this redundancy. If there's an editor, please remove the earlier post.

beinghuman

Re: Michigan ($150K) vs. Harvard (WITH POLL)

Post by beinghuman » Mon May 07, 2018 6:44 pm

First, congrats on choosing a school and on a potential HLS offer.
I do not think that it's a bad idea to consider Harvard and it does indeed provide more prestige and different opportunities, not that Michigan would not provide any. So that's a choice you will need to make based on financial considerations, what you want in life, and where you see yourself happy in LS and beyond.

Regarding the WL situation, I think there are a few people on that WL who are not 100% committed to attending. However, my understanding is that HLS expects that you would at least be more likely than not to say Yes - why stay on the WL otherwise. Moreover, if you're unlikely to go, you are wasting their time and you are also delaying the admission of another student.

philiptouch

New

Post by philiptouch » Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

beinghuman wrote:First, congrats on choosing a school and on a potential HLS offer.
I do not think that it's a bad idea to consider Harvard and it does indeed provide more prestige and different opportunities, not that Michigan would not provide any. So that's a choice you will need to make based on financial considerations, what you want in life, and where you see yourself happy in LS and beyond.

Regarding the WL situation, I think there are a few people on that WL who are not 100% committed to attending. However, my understanding is that HLS expects that you would at least be more likely than not to say Yes - why stay on the WL otherwise. Moreover, if you're unlikely to go, you are wasting their time and you are also delaying the admission of another student.
Thank you very much for your input! It all makes sense and the poll so far also seems to indicate there's no absolute right or wrong choice here. Thanks also for your note on the Harvard WL. You're right I shouldn't remain on the waitlist if I'm more likely to say no to its offer. Ever since late March when I got watlisted and up until two days ago when I received the interview request, I was leaning towards to Harvard being what it is, which was why I remained on the waitlist. It was only after the interview request that I started to consider seriously the prospect of HLS admission, and became 50/50 split, even to my surprise, when I compared the two schools with their (likely) offers. After talking to different people yesterday and today, I am now leaning towards to Michigan. Posting on this forum was one of the ways I hoped would tip the scale to either direction. I might wait a day or two with more thought and feedback from others before finally withdrawing from the HLS waitlist so that no one will waste their valuable time.

GaryGrice

New

Post by GaryGrice » Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 am

The T14 is the T14 for a reason. Everything else is trash

Wu-Tang

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”