South Texas College of Law VS University of Kentucky Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HamiltonBurr

New

South Texas College of Law VS University of Kentucky

Post by HamiltonBurr » Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 pm

I've been accepted at South Texas and Kentucky and just want some feedback on both. UK is definitely ranked higher but I've heard some great things about STCL.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: South Texas College of Law VS University of Kentucky

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 pm

They are both terrible schools and you should not go to either.

aspiringlawyer2

New

Post by aspiringlawyer2 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Where are you from, any Texas ties? I would probably go with UK unless you think you could do well your first year and transfer to one of the better schools in Texas. What does the scholarship/financial aid package look like for both? South Texas is in Houston so lots of opportunity but you'll be competing with UH, UT, and any of the other higher ranked Texas schools for jobs, not to mention those who just want to work in Houston due to the oil/gas concentration or local ties. I'd go with UK since they are the best in Kentucky and probably place well in that market.

jbp15860

New

Post by jbp15860 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:10 pm

HamiltonBurr wrote:I've been accepted at South Texas and Kentucky and just want some feedback on both. UK is definitely ranked higher but I've heard some great things about STCL.
Do you want to live in Houston? I live in Houston and it’s amazing. I don’t want to leave. STCL places well in Houston, especially at locally owned firms (small and mid) and the DAs office. There’s plenty of work if you do well. If you want to live in KY then go there. It’s ranked 65 and it’s cheaper if you’re in state.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 am

(1) University of Kentucky is a fine regional law school. No, you probably won't get to a big law firm in Chicago, DC, New York, or California from Univ. of Kentucky but if you want a solid legal education and are open to practicing in mid-markets like Cincinnati, Louisville,Columbus, Nashville, etc, then Univ. of Kentucky is your choice.

(2) If you are certain you want to practice in Texas, primarily Houston, and at a smaller or maybe mid range firm there or in state government, then South Texas College of Law may get you where you want. But, you'll need to perform well in law school so if you pick South Texas, you best be confident in your ability to do well in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:if you want a solid legal education and are open to practicing in mid-markets like Cincinnati, Louisville,Columbus, Nashville, etc, then Univ. of Kentucky is your choice.
...after all the schools actually located in those markets. Like yes, you *can* get to the above from Kentucky, but if you want Columbus, go to Ohio State, if you want Nashville, go to Vandy or U of Tennessee, etc. Kentucky is not really spreading your net more widely.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:. But, you'll need to perform well in law school so if you pick South Texas, you best be confident in your ability to do well in law school.
Almost nobody can be confident of their ability to "do well" in law school. It's a zero sum game where everyone works hard and the vast majority of students have similar academic credentials going in.

To the OP: primary considerations will be cost and where you want to live after graduation. Kentucky or Houston? At this level, rank is pretty much irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”