UMaryland Francis King Carey for 'Biglaw'? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Anthony187

New

UMaryland Francis King Carey for 'Biglaw'?

Post by Anthony187 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey guys,

I am curious to know how well UMaryland School of Law grads place into 'Biglaw' firms in the big cities on the east coast.

How does the top 20%-10% fare in regards to biglaw in cities like Washington, Philadelphia, and New York?

Thank you!

Anthony187

New

Re: UMaryland Francis King Carey for 'Biglaw'?

Post by Anthony187 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Anyone?

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Their students do not fare well in general but you're asking a specific question that only those involved would know.
I can only guess from the data.
If you look at law school transparency reports for U Maryland, you will see that only 14.4.% of its employed grads are in DC, 3.1% in New York, and 1% in PA.
About 10% are in Biglaw (by looking at the data generously).

In sum, apparently not very well. Plus many in the top 20% students might be going elsewhere or staying in MD and they might be pursuing PI. There's no real way to know beyond guessing.

You should do more research.

Anthony187 wrote:Hey guys,

I am curious to know how well UMaryland School of Law grads place into 'Biglaw' firms in the big cities on the east coast.

How does the top 20%-10% fare in regards to biglaw in cities like Washington, Philadelphia, and New York?

Thank you!

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:45 pm

beinghuman wrote:Their students do not fare well in general but you're asking a specific question that only those involved would know.
If you look at law school transparency reports for U Maryland, you will see that only 14.4.% of its employed grads are in DC, 3.1% in New York, and 1% in PA.

In sum, apparently not very well. Plus many in the top 20% students might be going elsewhere or staying in MD and they might be pursuing PI. There's no real way to know beyond guessing.

Thank you!
Thank you for the response! I've received a full-tuition scholarship from UMaryland School of Law. I desire biglaw, but at the same time I want to avoid too much debt.

Does UMaryland School of Law make sense if I am confident in my ability to do well in law school and yet also adverse to debt?

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm

If biglaw is your goal, then UMD makes no sense even on a full ride. Your best bet would be to aim for a T13 school for next year, by retaking the LSAT, or whatever to strengthen your application. I would not advise anyone to pay sticker anywhere but there is value in paying something for better opportunities. For example, a 50% scholarship at a lower T13 would be a much better investment than a full ride at UMD. I'm very debt averse too but it's possible to find a balance between debt aversion and the right school for your preferred career outcomes.

UMD would make sense if (1) you don't have to pay for it; and (2) are ok with not having a legal job or a low paying legal job - because this is a real possibility for their grads. (See https://www.lstreports.com/schools/maryland/)

There is no way for you tell right now what your law school ranking will be and that will matter a lot, so being confident that you will do well does not guarantee anything.
In your case, going to UMD would be a gamble. I personally would not do it given your career goals.

Anthony187 wrote:
beinghuman wrote:Their students do not fare well in general but you're asking a specific question that only those involved would know.

Thank you!
Thank you for the response! I've received a full-tuition scholarship from UMaryland School of Law. I desire biglaw, but at the same time I want to avoid too much debt.

Does UMaryland School of Law make sense if I am confident in my ability to do well in law school and yet also adverse to debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Thank you for your advice! :D

Anyone else?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Getting biglaw from UMD is a pipe dream. Less than 10% of their class has a shot at it. In comparison for example, Duke gives an 85% shot. So yea, if you want biglaw, go to a t13

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Anthony187 wrote:Thank you for your advice! :D

Anyone else?
It opens up good opportunities in Baltimore. Some in DC. If you are ok waith Baltimore its actually a pretty good gig. There are a lot of alumni at the major firms. If you want somewhere else, I would look to go elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”