Is UT law school worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mrcool836

New

Is UT law school worth sticker?

Post by mrcool836 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Up until today I was pretty set to attend UT law school. However, I received my scholarship reconsideration today and wasn't awarded any money. I was just hoping I could share my situation and maybe get some advice on if I am making a horrible decision.

My scores are a 3.75 and I got a 166 on the LSAT on my second attempt. My first attempt was a 164.

This cycle I was accepted to no T14 schools (waitlisted at Michigan and UVA). I was also waitlisted at UCLA and ND. I was accepted to USC with a $50K per year scholarship, and UT with no money, but I am in-state. These two schools became my top 2 choices, but I decided on UT since leaving Texas seemed like a risky career move, especially moving to the California market with no ties. I also had hoped to get some scholarship money since the 25th percentile grant amount is about $6k (according to aba), but I guess I'm lower than the 25th percentile for this round of applicants.

My goals are to work in Big Law, ideally in a real estate or energy practice, both UT and USC seem conducive to this goal. I don't really have a strong urge to stay in Texas my whole life, but also don't have anywhere else I would strongly want to live.

The finances of attending UT for me are the following:
- I got about 90% of my undergrad paid for through scholarships, so I have money in a college fund, it is about $50k.
- My parents have said they will pay for my living while I am attending (rent, food, etc.)
- I will be paying the remaining tuition with loans and that figure comes out to about $60-70k

So far I have signed a lease in Austin, which I am upset about signing so early. I had friends who were signing one and wanted to live with them. Again I was naive and thought I would at least get SOME money for UT. My plans of action are to do one of the following:

1. Attend UT at full in state price ($60-70k of debt for me)

2. Try and sublease my apartment in Austin and go to USC (I would be able to graduate pretty much debt free, might end up with about $10k of loans). However there is no guarantee I could sublease, and I might end up paying $1k a month for my rent in Austin for my 1L year. Also moving to California with no ties seems risky.

3. Move to Austin and find a job (the typical starting salary for my undergrad degree is about $60k, I think I'd be able to find something in a few months time) and retake or re-think attending all together. I am hesitant about retaking since the highest I ever scored on a PT was 167, and that was at the peak of my studying.

My low scores and lack of scholarship money have really made me question if I am cut out for law school. I thought I had good scores, but after reading a lot of the advice on here, it seems attending a non T14 at full price is exactly the wrong thing to be doing. UT was my goal when I started studying for the LSAT, but here I am feeling like its the wrong decision. Sorry for such a long post, but I guess I'm just looking for some advice on if this is a horrible decision to make, and maybe see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Also, does anyone have information on if there are merit scholarships for after your 1L year? While I know I can't bank on having high 1L grades, knowing if there is a chance of getting more money for 2L year would be helpful.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Is UT law school worth sticker?

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm

You will not get merit scholarship after 1l. That doesn't happen.

The answer is no, UT is not worth sticker. In no universe is it worth it

mrcool836

New

Post by mrcool836 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You will not get merit scholarship after 1l. That doesn't happen.

The answer is no, UT is not worth sticker. In no universe is it worth it
What would you say about backing out and going to USC then? If I could sublease it'd be significantly cheaper, and even if I can't it'd be 12k for the year. Is USC worth moving to California with no ties?

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm

I agree that UT is not worth it at sticker but if your parents paying for COL will not ruin their finances, 50-60k debt for 3 years is not a lot. However, there are no guarantees for big law coming out of UT and you'd have spent all your savings and your parents' money.

If you're having second thoughts about law school, maybe you should take the time off and explore your career options instead of going this year and regretting your choice for the rest of your life.

Regarding USC, I would personally be nervous attending any school below the T13 - I think even Georgetown is a risky choice. Your scores should give you a shot at the lower T13's, maybe work on your personal statement and resume for the next cycle?

mrcool836

New

Post by mrcool836 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 pm

beinghuman wrote:I agree that UT is not worth it at sticker but if your parents paying for COL will not ruin their finances, 50-60k debt for 3 years is not a lot. However, there are no guarantees for big law coming out of UT and you'd have spent all your savings and your parents' money.

If you're having second thoughts about law school, maybe you should take the time off and explore your career options instead of going this year and regretting your choice for the rest of your life.

Regarding USC, I would personally be nervous attending any school below the T13 - I think even Georgetown is a risky choice. Your scores should give you a shot at the lower T13's, maybe work on your personal statement and resume for the next cycle?
Yea my parents are able to afford and said they will help me more if possible since they didn't have to help me much through undergrad. Its kind of looking like theres a 33% chance it'd be worth it depending on if I'm top third or not. Kind of worried I wouldn't be since I barely got in in the first place. I wasn't really having second thought until I realized I was about to pay full price at a non T14/T13, exactly the opposite of the advice you see most places. Also, I thought my numbers were pretty solid for bottom T13 as well, but then got waitlisted/denied from them. Don't think I'd have much luck next year unless I raised my LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aspiringlawyer2

New

Post by aspiringlawyer2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Sticker is what? 35k a year? I think you have a pretty good chance at biglaw if you can get above median. If only 60-70k in debt, i dont see why not go to UT especially with your Texas ties.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I think you could justify going since "sticker" would only mean $65k or so in debt.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 am

Not sure why some folks are hitting on UT. It is a very strong institution that has steadily bordered on the T14 for a long time. There are plenty of big law opportunities in Dallas and Houston and many firms in those market care about ties to the state. Yeah, it would have been nice if UT gave you some money but you should go. UT will give you every opportunity to reach your goals.

mrcool836

New

Post by mrcool836 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm

UPDATE: I decided to back out my Austin lease and attend USC. The scholarship money made USC too hard to pass up. Looks like I will be moving to LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”