NYU (hometown) versus Duke ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dazedandconfused2

New

NYU (hometown) versus Duke ($$)

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi guys,
Time is a ticking and I am down to two common last choices: NYU and Duke. I applied to schools wanting to do public interest in child and family advocacy but am still open to big law. I have a huge personal attachment to NYC but I do not know if this can outweigh the money. Do you think happiness for 3 years outweighs money?

NYU
- Full sticker, finalist for RTK but did not get it and my parents will pay my loans interest
- In my hometown. My parents live in Brooklyn and my sister goes to Columbia undergrad. Almost all of my best friends from growing up and college.
- My boyfriend just accepted a PhD program at NYU, which means we could live and commute together

Duke
- Offering $81K and maybe more (waiting to see if they will up the offer) and my parents will pay my loans interest

I have a 165 LSAT with an undergrad GPA 3.78 and graduate GPA 3.96. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years doing TFA and volunteer work. I have been accepted into Mich but wait-listed at Harvard, Columbia,UVA and Penn.

agnes_bean

New

Re: NYU (hometown) versus Duke ($$)

Post by agnes_bean » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 am

Honestly, to me, there are two big questions here:

A) You prefer NYC, but do you actively think you'll be unhappy at Duke, or do you just think you'll like being in NYC/at NYU more? Because IMO there's a big difference between turning down the money to be in the place you'll like more and turney down the money at a place that you think you will actively not like. If you're unhappy, it can affect your performance.

B) How committed/important is your relationship to you? Because long distance is really, really hard, especially when you're both busy with school. If you think this might be a forever relationship, that can be a good reason to forgo the money.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am

I'd choose Duke. When you add in the much higher NYC cost of living (and the attendant interest on that amount) the true difference in COA is probably closer to $150k. The reputational differences are marginal and not enough to justify that amount of extra cash. People on this forum segment T14 schools much more finely than HR folks/hiring attorneys do.

The fact that your SO will stay in NYC makes this a tougher choice but you guys can make it work. Meet halfway in DC on weekends, that is doable. I went to Michigan while my spouse stayed back home in Maryland and we met up halfway fairly often. Not ideal but doable.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:33 pm

This is very tough situation.
I personally loved NYU when I visited and it was a finalist school for me. At the end, I went with the cheapest T13 option. I talked to professors, in-house lawyers, and got advice on TLS and those conversations made me realize that the differences in opportunities are marginal.
I would much rather attend NYU than Duke but the problem with debt that it does not feel like a burden now but it will once you graduate. It can really hold you back for a very long time. NYU at sticker is not really worth it unless you/your family can afford it without ruining your finances.

You should visit Duke and see what you think. You should however go somewhere you will like so if you really dislike Duke then maybe you should just stay in NYC. But if you think you could do Duke for 3 years, you might be better off going there and you can def work in NYC after law school.

dazedandconfused2 wrote:Hi guys,
Time is a ticking and I am down to two common last choices: NYU and Duke. I applied to schools wanting to do public interest in child and family advocacy but am still open to big law. I have a huge personal attachment to NYC but I do not know if this can outweigh the money. Do you think happiness for 3 years outweighs money?

NYU
- Full sticker, finalist for RTK but did not get it and my parents will pay my loans interest
- In my hometown. My parents live in Brooklyn and my sister goes to Columbia undergrad. Almost all of my best friends from growing up and college.
- My boyfriend just accepted a PhD program at NYU, which means we could live and commute together

Duke
- Offering $81K and maybe more (waiting to see if they will up the offer) and my parents will pay my loans interest

I have a 165 LSAT with an undergrad GPA 3.78 and graduate GPA 3.96. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years doing TFA and volunteer work. I have been accepted into Mich but wait-listed at Harvard, Columbia,UVA and Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”