Loyola Chi ($$) or in-state MSU ($$$)/Wayne State ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MU2017

New

Loyola Chi ($$) or in-state MSU ($$$)/Wayne State ($$$)

Postby MU2017 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm from Michigan, went to undergrad in Wisconsin and I have family and friends in both the Chicago area and South Eastern Michigan.

I got just under 1/2 scholarship covered at Loyola Chicago and my debt just for tuition would be around 80k, (not including COL that adds approximately 20k a year).

I got around 2/3 scholarship from both Wayne State and Michigan State which would run me about 40-50k in debt, (not including COL that would add 15-20k per year for both schools) The scholarship may change after I attempt to negotiate with Wayne and MSU.

Im interested in Healthcare and Family law, not quite sure what specifically yet.

Of course I know that if I go to Loyola Chicago I will be looking at practicing in the Chicago area competing with applicants from Uchicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and Champaign. While If I go to law school in Michigan I will practice in Michigan (especially if I go to Wayne), while competing with UMich, Notre Dame (maybe) and others. Retake is not an option :)

I would love to hear what people think about my choices.

iknowlaws

New

Re: Loyola Chi ($$) or in-state MSU ($$$)/Wayne State ($$$)

Postby iknowlaws » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:35 pm

MU2017 wrote:I'm from Michigan, went to undergrad in Wisconsin and I have family and friends in both the Chicago area and South Eastern Michigan.

I got just under 1/2 scholarship covered at Loyola Chicago and my debt just for tuition would be around 80k, (not including COL that adds approximately 20k a year).

I got around 2/3 scholarship from both Wayne State and Michigan State which would run me about 40-50k in debt, (not including COL that would add 15-20k per year for both schools) The scholarship may change after I attempt to negotiate with Wayne and MSU.

Im interested in Healthcare and Family law, not quite sure what specifically yet.

Of course I know that if I go to Loyola Chicago I will be looking at practicing in the Chicago area competing with applicants from Uchicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and Champaign. While If I go to law school in Michigan I will practice in Michigan (especially if I go to Wayne), while competing with UMich, Notre Dame (maybe) and others. Retake is not an option :)

I am a current student at Wayne State University as an undergrad and I was accepted by both law schools with full tuition covered. From what I have heard in admitted student days and from current law students, you can carry a MSU degree father because of its recognition. That being said, Wayne State has a well-networked metro area and Detroit is where the money is to be made in Michigan. Think of the respective markets and where you are comfortable going.

beinghuman

Postby beinghuman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

If retake is NOT an option, then you should not go to law school.

Given your options and career interests, your debt to income ratio will be too high and given that biglaw would be very difficult for you in case you decide you'd like to do that, you would be spending many many years repaying.... So why do it?

MU2017 wrote:I'm from Michigan, went to undergrad in Wisconsin and I have family and friends in both the Chicago area and South Eastern Michigan.

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Those are all too expensive. It is looking like six figures in debt (definitely for Loyola and most likely for MSU or Wayne St). You will not be able to get a job with a high enough salary to repay that kind of debt.

beinghuman

Postby beinghuman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes, because at admitted student days, they will give you the most objective and realistic information regarding the school and your job prospects.

iknowlaws wrote:

I am a current student at Wayne State University as an undergrad and I was accepted by both law schools with full tuition covered. From what I have heard in admitted student days and from current law students, you can carry a MSU degree father because of its recognition. That being said, Wayne State has a well-networked metro area and Detroit is where the money is to be made in Michigan. Think of the respective markets and where you are comfortable going.

iknowlaws

New

Postby iknowlaws » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

[quote="beinghuman"]Yes, because at admitted student days, they will give you the most objective and realistic information regarding the school and your job prospects.

I'm not sure if that was a shot at me or not, but I did not make any claims on whether they should or not, just the job markets. And at WSU, tuition is only just above 30k per year and the salary prospects in Detroit have a median private sector salary of $67,000. So if they have a 2/3 scholarship on 30k a year and they are able to commute, it could be a positive decision for someone who is passionate about pursuing law. Cash payback outlays could be accelerated and the burden would be minimal if managed well.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Retake

beinghuman

Postby beinghuman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm

It is not a shot at you.
It was a comment on misinformation that law schools tend to spread.
Is the median salary you mention determined based on a representative sample? Orjust those reporting salary and what’s their percentage of the total population? Law schools dont typically tell you that when they present their nice employment numbers.

Those are legitimate questions that prospective students should inquire about and know before committing

iknowlaws wrote:
beinghuman wrote:Yes, because at admitted student days, they will give you the most objective and realistic information regarding the school and your job prospects.

I'm not sure if that was a shot at me or not, but I did not make any claims on whether they should or not, just the job markets. And at WSU, tuition is only just above 30k per year and the salary prospects in Detroit have a median private sector salary of $67,000. So if they have a 2/3 scholarship on 30k a year and they are able to commute, it could be a positive decision for someone who is passionate about pursuing law. Cash payback outlays could be accelerated and the burden would be minimal if managed well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?