UIUC (full scholarship) v. BU (25K/year) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UIUC v. BU

University of Illinois
83%
Boston University
17%

Total votes: 12

kaf5631

New

UIUC (full scholarship) v. BU (25K/year)

Post by kaf5631 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:44 pm

COA UIUC: 55K
Total COA BU: 150K + lots of moving expenses

No chance of retaking the LSAT, I have two jobs and work 60-70 hours a weeks, I just don't have the time to study more to try to get a higher score. GPA under 3.3.

I'm from the Chicago area, been working in BigLaw as a paralegal for 3+ years. I was 100% set on BU, but UIUC emailed me yesterday increasing their offer to a full tuition scholarship. I want to do BigLaw when I'm done. If I choose UIUC I feel like I'm going to be stuck in Chicago forever, but there are a lot of lawyers at my firm and others in Chicago from UIUC, it's got great placement in Chicago. Boston is a fantastic school though with better national reach. UIUC looks way better on LST underemployment score. If I do UIUC am I giving up opportunities that I would have in Boston that I wouldn't have in UC?

Many thanks.

beinghuman

Re: UIUC (full scholarship) v. BU (25K/year)

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Neither of these schools will give you a good chance at getting a biglaw position.

I will say that BU is not worth 150k plus moving expenses. Granted it might offer more opportunities and place better than UIUC but it's still risky at that price given that there's a non-negligible chance that you might regret that choice.
If you're really set on attending in the fall and not retaking, go with UIUC but do not count on great employment outcomes unless you're at the top of your class and yes, you'll probably be stuck in IL.
kaf5631 wrote:COA UIUC: 55K
Total COA BU: 150K + lots of moving expenses

No chance of retaking the LSAT, I have two jobs and work 60-70 hours a weeks, I just don't have the time to study more to try to get a higher score. GPA under 3.3.

I'm from the Chicago area, been working in BigLaw as a paralegal for 3+ years. I was 100% set on BU, but UIUC emailed me yesterday increasing their offer to a full tuition scholarship. I want to do BigLaw when I'm done. If I choose UIUC I feel like I'm going to be stuck in Chicago forever, but there are a lot of lawyers at my firm and others in Chicago from UIUC, it's got great placement in Chicago. Boston is a fantastic school though with better national reach. UIUC looks way better on LST underemployment score. If I do UIUC am I giving up opportunities that I would have in Boston that I wouldn't have in UC?

Many thanks.

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 pm

FWIW I had to make a similar decision today, and chose BC over UIUC full tuition. I ultimately based it on where I wanted to be 20 years from now.

kaf5631

New

Post by kaf5631 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 am

jstanhope14 wrote:FWIW I had to make a similar decision today, and chose BC over UIUC full tuition. I ultimately based it on where I wanted to be 20 years from now.
Which is where?

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 am

kaf5631 wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:FWIW I had to make a similar decision today, and chose BC over UIUC full tuition. I ultimately based it on where I wanted to be 20 years from now.
Which is where?
New England

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”