ASU $$$ vs Emory $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pezberri

New

ASU $$$ vs Emory $$

Post by pezberri » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Interested in working in international law/human rights/NGOs/maybe government, not too fussed where (also potentially working outside of the US).

I'm an international student which means I can't get loans for the first year, so money is a big factor. I have to make a decision in the next few weeks as to whether to take a risk and accept Emory, hoping I can raise the rest of the money through work/savings/scholarships.

Emory is my preferred school and I've got my heart quite set on it, as the location and feel suits me a lot more, I have a lot of friends in the area, there is a significant Jewish community, and great LGBT resources.

Would really appreciate advice!!

beinghuman

Re: ASU $$$ vs Emory $$

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Given your status as an international student and your career interests, I don't think these schools make any sense.

First, getting a job in "international law/human rights" (whatever that means nowadays) or in an any decent NGO in the US is going to be very difficult for you.
Second, it's also going to be difficult to get a corporate job that would sponsor your visa coming out from either of these two schools.

Keep in mind that it wouldn't be wise to commit to Emory in your situation unless you have SECURED funding for 3 years. What would happen if you didn't have a 2L summer job? You need to consider all possibilities.

And it would be a mistake to waste your savings for something that might not pay off. Unless having a U.S. JD and going back home afterwards is an option that you find acceptable, I would advise you against attending.
pezberri wrote:Interested in working in international law/human rights/NGOs/maybe government, not too fussed where (also potentially working outside of the US).

I'm an international student which means I can't get loans for the first year, so money is a big factor. I have to make a decision in the next few weeks as to whether to take a risk and accept Emory, hoping I can raise the rest of the money through work/savings/scholarships.

Emory is my preferred school and I've got my heart quite set on it, as the location and feel suits me a lot more, I have a lot of friends in the area, there is a significant Jewish community, and great LGBT resources.

Would really appreciate advice!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”