UChi (basically sitcker), NU ($ 1/2), UVA (half) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AaronCarter

Bronze

UChi (basically sitcker), NU ($ 1/2), UVA (half)

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 am

Want BigLaw first and foremost, preferably in Cali (open to NYC, maybe even Chicago).
Dinged by Berk, crap offer from UCLA, no word from Stanford.

UChi (sticker)
NU (under 100k)
UVA (half tuition)

I'm not super debt adverse, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money either. I would be all over UVA, but I'm skeptical it can get me to Cali since I don't have strong ties.

Thoughts?

beinghuman

Re: UChi (basically sitcker), NU ($ 1/2), UVA (half)

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

Given your options, I don't think going to UChi at sticker is worth it.
NU would def give you a shot at Cali biglaw, maybe more so than UVA.
Can you negotiate with NU based on your UVA offer?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

beinghuman wrote:Given your options, I don't think going to UChi at sticker is worth it.
I don't think there's much in it as to accessibility of California to UVA grads compared to Northwestern. NW places maybe a fifth more graduates there, but that's to be expected as a result of geography. From my class, those I knew wanted California seem to have ended up there without too much trouble.

In July 2017, UVA had 29 sit the CA bar, with 26 pass, compared to 35 from NW with 29 passes. I'm not sure it would be wise to draw anything meaningful from those stats or the other recent employment data, other than both schools do fine at placing in the market.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I agree. The difference is marginal at this point. I wasn't implying that it was a huge difference but a small edge might be something that OP might like to consider given their interest in the west coast.
albanach wrote:
beinghuman wrote:Given your options, I don't think going to UChi at sticker is worth it.
I don't think there's much in it as to accessibility of California to UVA grads compared to Northwestern. NW places maybe a fifth more graduates there, but that's to be expected as a result of geography. From my class, those I knew wanted California seem to have ended up there without too much trouble.

In July 2017, UVA had 29 sit the CA bar, with 26 pass, compared to 35 from NW with 29 passes. I'm not sure it would be wise to draw anything meaningful from those stats or the other recent employment data, other than both schools do fine at placing in the market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”