Northwestern ($$$) vs. NYU ($$$) vs. Texas ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
longhornth4041

New

Northwestern ($$$) vs. NYU ($$$) vs. Texas ($$$)

Post by longhornth4041 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 pm

I am a Texas native/Univ. of Texas alum currently living in Chicago who is unsure of my anticipated law track - 176 LSAT; 3.99 GPA. Probably not litigation, maybe Big Law, but really considering PI (I want my life to have a heavy emphasis on public service, but I don't feel like my career has to be that outlet necessarily). Because I'm strongly considering PI, debt weighs heavily in my calculus, so I don't see myself ending up at Harvard (sticker) or UChicago (25k offer). Would like opportunity for federal clerkship but flexibility to pursue these different paths. I'm feeling very torn.

Texas is reconsidering my initial scholarship of 30k/35k, but I'd be surprised if they didn't close the gap. UT is my alma mater, I've visited and really enjoyed the school culture, access to the capital (and TX state gov. jobs and opportunities) is pretty unbeatable. I love my home state and could easily see myself settling there to raise a family, though I'm young (23) and single so I have time.

Northwestern has offered 60/63k. Texas is great but Chicago is everything I want in a city, and I love living here as a young person. Staying here means I'd live with two of my best friends and keep the friends and contacts I've made in the past year close. NU would allow me the freedom to stay in Chicago or move back to TX if I desired after. Student body seemed a bit more distant/unfriendly on my visit than at UT but that's my only big concern other than deciding later on that I actually want to be in TX rather than Chicago after.

NYU has offered a Vanderbilt scholarship for full tuition. Hard to beat the ranking or the stage location-wise. COL is of course much higher in NY than CHI or ATX, but the loans required to live there would be acceptable to me, whether I go PI or another route. Love the PI opportunities and resources, not sure how to feel about huge class size, and I don't know that I would like living in NYC compared to Chicago (poor transit situation, COL, lack of space). But NY is NY, and that excites me.

Lots of thoughts in my head, and I don't know that I have a front runner because of those competing pulls. Any advice or thoughts would be so helpful!

usaorbust

Bronze

Re: Northwestern ($$$) vs. NYU ($$$) vs. Texas ($$$)

Post by usaorbust » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Take the Vandy and dont look back

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 am

NYU

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm

If you really really would rather stay in Chicago during and after law school then NU would make sense.
Otherwise, I'd take NYU's offer.
I don't think you should consider going to U Texas at this point.

Sacred Cow

New

Post by Sacred Cow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am

Seems like Chicago should give you more money. Might be worth negotiating with them. But if they don't substantially increase that offer, then yeah, the Vandy is the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”