Texas or Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gtowntexas

New

Texas or Georgetown

Post by gtowntexas » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello,

I was admitted to both of these schools and I have no idea which to go to. I am from CA and I want to ideally stay in CA but I think I should prioritize choosing a school that will provide me with the best career outcome and financial outcome. I have a 169/3.1 GPA, Ive taken the LSAT 3 times. My career goal is Big Law or a job that pay wells. I am also interested in public interest specifically Housing and Immigration Law.

My COA for each school according to LST is:

Georgetown COA $195,000 after $75,000 scholarship
Texas Coa $163,000 after $55,000 scholarship

I guess my question is: Is Georgetown worth the extra $30k than Texas law?

or should I just go to UCI?
COA $105,000 after $90,000 scholarhsip

Traynor Brah

Silver

Re: Texas or Georgetown

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I don't think any of the three are strong options for wanting to work in California biglaw. You'd need to be at or near the top of the class at either (particularly at UT but also at GT) to make that happen.

Why is UCLA/USC not on the table? Seems to be the obvious answer.

gtowntexas

New

Post by gtowntexas » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:I don't think any of the three are strong options for wanting to work in California biglaw. You'd need to be at or near the top of the class at either (particularly at UT but also at GT) to make that happen.

Why is UCLA/USC not on the table? Seems to be the obvious answer.

I was waitlisted at UCLA. Rejected at USC.

If they were options, believe me, this post would not exist.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 am

When I was there, Georgetown got a pretty decent contingent of LA firms and it didn't require top of the class to get biglaw there (top 1/3 was enough).

At the end of the day, I think the answer depends on whether if you don't end up in CA, you'd like to end up in Texas or the East coast. Georgetown still places mostly in NYC and DC, while UT still places mostly in Texas. UCI is a reasonable option if it's CA or bust.

kjolaw

New

Post by kjolaw » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:17 am

I would recommend Georgetown. The experience in DC beats Austin. You will have two options during the summer- working in DC area or going back to LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm

gtowntexas wrote:Hello,

I was admitted to both of these schools and I have no idea which to go to. I am from CA and I want to ideally stay in CA but I think I should prioritize choosing a school that will provide me with the best career outcome and financial outcome. I have a 169/3.1 GPA, Ive taken the LSAT 3 times. My career goal is Big Law or a job that pay wells. I am also interested in public interest specifically Housing and Immigration Law.

My COA for each school according to LST is:

Georgetown COA $195,000 after $75,000 scholarship
Texas Coa $163,000 after $55,000 scholarship

I guess my question is: Is Georgetown worth the extra $30k than Texas law?

or should I just go to UCI?
COA $105,000 after $90,000 scholarhsip
UCI without question. You'll have a slightly smaller shot at biglaw (~10%) but drastically less debt and you won't be stuck in DC or Texas and unable to get back to CA.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 pm

kjolaw wrote:I would recommend Georgetown. The experience in DC beats Austin. You will have two options during the summer- working in DC area or going back to LA.
assuming that was sarcasm?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”