University of Arizona vs George Mason Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigGrouse

New

University of Arizona vs George Mason

Post by BigGrouse » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:41 am

Hello, I was recently admitted to both UA and GMU with full out of state tuition scholarships and I'm really struggling to figure out which one I'd rather go to. Due to the scholarships the only COA factor is just the cost of rent around GMU being much higher than UA, I'll be covering the cost using a mix of personal savings and loans (with most likely a 60% weight distribution towards loans). I've spent time in both states and could see myself making a life in Virginia/D.C. or Arizona equally not taking the legal markets into account. I'm currently undecided on what kind of law I'm interested in specializing in, and am open to public interest. Big law opportunities while welcome, are not a significant priority. However I would prefer as generally robust a job market as possible (wouldn't we all?). So my main question is how is the legal job market in VA/ the D.C. metro area compared to Arizona (and specifically Maricopa county or Tuscon)? My first thought would be that the job market in and around D.C. would be as cold as the climate itself, but which school do you guys and gals think would offer the best opportunities given my situation?

Thanks all!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: University of Arizona vs George Mason

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 am

Neither, but if someone had a gun to my head, Arizona. The DC legal market is the single most competitive market and extremely oversaturated. GM students don't do well in DC. There are just too many better students at better schools that get the handful of jobs. I can't speak to Arizona with direct knowledge, but it can't be worse than DC.

Further, you aren't getting biglaw from either. Make sure you are comfortable working your ass off to secure a 40k shitlaw job because that is what you are gonna get from either school.

harveybirdman101

New

Post by harveybirdman101 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:42 pm

BigGrouse wrote:Hello, I was recently admitted to both UA and GMU with full out of state tuition scholarships and I'm really struggling to figure out which one I'd rather go to. Due to the scholarships the only COA factor is just the cost of rent around GMU being much higher than UA, I'll be covering the cost using a mix of personal savings and loans (with most likely a 60% weight distribution towards loans). I've spent time in both states and could see myself making a life in Virginia/D.C. or Arizona equally not taking the legal markets into account. I'm currently undecided on what kind of law I'm interested in specializing in, and am open to public interest. Big law opportunities while welcome, are not a significant priority. However I would prefer as generally robust a job market as possible (wouldn't we all?). So my main question is how is the legal job market in VA/ the D.C. metro area compared to Arizona (and specifically Maricopa county or Tuscon)? My first thought would be that the job market in and around D.C. would be as cold as the climate itself, but which school do you guys and gals think would offer the best opportunities given my situation?

Thanks all!
Congratulations. I would totally pick GMU. Opportunities in Tuscon and Arizona in general seem limited and provincial, though their employment numbers are solid. The cost of living in DC is probably worth it though if you're looking for better long-term opportunities. You'll probably make more connections there and get a better externship, which might make you a better candidate for jobs in other states. As I mentioned, it appears that Arizona mostly employs in Tuscon and Phoenix, which are very different cities. I have a nice scholarship from AZ but I want to work in another state, so it's sort of unlikely that I will commit at this point.

OkCool

New

Post by OkCool » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Go where you would rather end up.

globetrotter659

New

Post by globetrotter659 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

GMU does place into federal jobs but I would imagine you would have to be near the top of the class.

If you go to GMU, be prepared for every DC attorney making fun of the fact that you go to (formerly) ASSoL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”