115k at UT vs 120k @ Georgetown? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT (115k scholly) or GULC(120k scholly

UT with 115k scholly
38%
GULC with 120k
63%

Total votes: 16

HUalumni93

New

115k at UT vs 120k @ Georgetown?

Post by HUalumni93 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm from the DC area and I love Georgetown. But I also like Texas and I like the idea of low COL and no taxes.

Also family will be helping so I will only be borrowing 10-15 k a year at UT Austin. And probably about 10k per year more to attend g town

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Re: 115k at UT vs 120k @ Georgetown?

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 pm

HUalumni93 wrote:I'm from the DC area and I love Georgetown. But I also like Texas and I like the idea of low COL and no taxes.

Also family will be helping so I will only be borrowing 10-15 k a year at UT Austin. And probably about 10k per year more to attend g town
What do you want to do after law school? Do you want to work/live in Texas long term? Have you been to TX cities other than Austin, and can you see yourself living there (Austin is a tough market to crack, even for TX residents)?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Wait, why is this even a question? Gtown's access to the prestigious federal gigs in DC is way better than UT. In fact, it's better than most schools since you have year round opportunities in DC simply because of location. Your roots are in DC as well. If you want to get into the Texas market, it would be a lot easier to fall back on that from a position in DC than it would be to end up in DC following a start in Texas. Go for the scholarship money and proximity to everything you know. Texas is an unknown for you right now it seems, and unknowns aren't really the more logical choices now are they?

HUalumni93

New

Post by HUalumni93 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:
HUalumni93 wrote:I'm from the DC area and I love Georgetown. But I also like Texas and I like the idea of low COL and no taxes.

What do you want to do after law school? Do you want to work/live in Texas long term? Have you been to TX cities other than Austin, and can you see yourself living there (Austin is a tough market to crack, even for TX residents)?

I've been to Dallas and Houston yes. I applied to UT primarily because I want to practice law in Texas. I don't particularly want to work for the government. And making GS in DC is basically poverty until you've been around a few years.

I am only interested in BigLaw and will be able to keep loans lower at UT due to family help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”