Law in South Dakota, but school where? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cranjack

New

Law in South Dakota, but school where?

Post by Cranjack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm

After reading many threads on regional vs. national reach schools, and lower tier schools with large scholarships vs. top schools with no money, I am starting to narrow down my law school list. Yet one area of concern remains:

I want to eventually practice law in South Dakota, specifically working with Native American populations and tribal courts, but I want to attend a better school than University of South Dakota and I do not appreciate their lack of native law classes (also, they are the only law school in the state yet their bar pass rate is abysmal).

Being from California originally, I have applied to many UC's (missed deadline for UCLA and UC Berk :( ) but I wonder if taking a degree from a California law school, albeit more prestigious than USD, to South Dakota is prudent. This lead me to seek out more law schools in the general region, but the closest schools still lack a focus on native law and are in about the same boat as USD. Thus I found Kansas U, U of Idaho, Colorado - Boulder, and U of Washington which, although not really in the same region and not necessarily higher ranked, are certainly closer and possess ample classes and clinics for educating myself on tribal law.

I feel very conflicted on all accounts. If I am accepted into all of these schools and receive hefty scholarships, I'm still not sure where I'd go. Is there a right school? Or if I'm not going to USD, is any school essentially going to be considered equal in South Dakota law's eyes?

Obviously a top tier school with national reach would be ideal, but I don't really have the numbers for those. Particularly if I want to attend law school debt-free.

LSAT: 166
GPA: 4.00

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Law in South Dakota, but school where?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Retake. Dont waste that GPA

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Retake. Then, apply early.

Cranjack

New

Post by Cranjack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks for the replies! Based on your responses, I'm assuming a top school with national reach is the best option?

Unfortunately I don't think retaking the LSAT is in the cards for me. Although I only studied for about five weeks leading up to it (made a later decision to apply due to a shock that happened in my life) and had the flu two weeks of that, I am happy enough with my score. I am in somewhat of a rush to apply, not for my sake, but because I am currently living in a region where lawyers are needed sooner rather than later. And a year very well could affect people's lives.

Inonothin

New

Post by Inonothin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:26 am

Cranjack wrote:Thanks for the replies! Based on your responses, I'm assuming a top school with national reach is the best option?

Unfortunately I don't think retaking the LSAT is in the cards for me. Although I only studied for about five weeks leading up to it (made a later decision to apply due to a shock that happened in my life) and had the flu two weeks of that, I am happy enough with my score. I am in somewhat of a rush to apply, not for my sake, but because I am currently living in a region where lawyers are needed sooner rather than later. And a year very well could affect people's lives.
Lol, what a dumb reason to put yourself in a bad position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:13 am

Cranjack wrote:Thanks for the replies! Based on your responses, I'm assuming a top school with national reach is the best option?

This is literally the most ridiculous reason for not waiting a year that I have ever heard. You are potentially sitting on a gold mine that could include full scholarships to amazing schools, and you are willing to throw it away for almost nothing (comparatively speaking). You likely won't be a world beater your first year of practice anyway (enough to truly save many lives). Wait a year. Retake at least one more time. Go to a top 14 school and get an elite education. Network with the top people in your field (who will likely have connections to opportunities to fully realize your potential). The process of selecting a law school is not the time to be short sighted and naive.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 am

Which of the 9 tribes are so hung out to dry, that you and your mighty white stallion would single handedly save the day?

Seriously.....What, exactly, are you trying to go to law school for?

If you're wanting to help tribal members then go to school in an area close to a tribe that will allow non-members to become tribal advocates while you're attending school. Some allow waivers.
http://ujs.sd.gov/uploads/docs/IndianLaw%20Handbook.pdf

Cranjack

New

Post by Cranjack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Wow, I really put my huge, misshapen foot in my mouth. I want to apologize for both the naivety and downright offensiveness I managed to convey.

I do not want to work for tribal courts, as I think that would be entirely inappropriate for myself. I'm looking at being a public defender or focusing on child advocacy. That's it. I simply want to be well informed of the various courts and complexities in the region I want to work in. The only person who needs saving is me from being an inarticulate and arrogant human. I will certainly take all of your words into consideration.

Sorry again and I'll go ahead a take leave of my self-inflicted wreckage. Thanks

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:04 pm

If you plan on working in either of those fields in SD, then why don't you want to work in the Tribal Courts? You 'can' do both. You don't have to be a native American.

For that matter, SD allows attorneys from other states to work in their PD offices and some other public interest offices without having been barred in SD.

I'd suggest reading the docs on SD bar website while formulating your plan. I guess I'm just confused on why you want a school that drills NA law and you don't even want to work in Tribal Courts.

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:51 am

I strongly encourage you to retake the LSAT ... five weeks of study and you managed a 166? I wouldn't waste a 4.0 gpa.

In the alternative, look at University of New Mexico ... a guy in my office went there and took some native American courses. You might be able to get a full ride + stipend. Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”