California low tier schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TGBU

New

California low tier schools

Post by TGBU » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Hello all. I'm a Texas student who has been admitted to some schools already (for Fall2018) but due to some recent events in my family I've been considering applying to some schools in California. The only school in CA I applied to in my first round of applications was Loyola but I have yet to hear back from them. So the question I have is is it worth it to apply to the lower ranked schools (the ones I think would for sure take me) this late in the process?

My LSAT is 157. UGPA is 3.2 but with an addendum explaining why my first attempt at college was a disaster and that the last four years GPA is 3.8. My main career goal out of law school is to work for a DAs office but I'm also interested in international law. If I were to apply to schools like California Western or Chapman or McGeorge and still receive a good scholarship would those schools be worth the time? Would any scholarship short of full tuition be worth it? I have visited the state many times for vacations and know I would love to live there but I also know that those schools are not ranked favorably, that the California bar is notoriously difficult and these schools don't have great employment rates. So any insight would be appreciated.

CALaw717

New

Re: California low tier schools

Post by CALaw717 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 am

TGBU wrote:Hello all. I'm a Texas student who has been admitted to some schools already (for Fall2018) but due to some recent events in my family I've been considering applying to some schools in California. The only school in CA I applied to in my first round of applications was Loyola but I have yet to hear back from them. So the question I have is is it worth it to apply to the lower ranked schools (the ones I think would for sure take me) this late in the process?

My LSAT is 157. UGPA is 3.2 but with an addendum explaining why my first attempt at college was a disaster and that the last four years GPA is 3.8. My main career goal out of law school is to work for a DAs office but I'm also interested in international law. If I were to apply to schools like California Western or Chapman or McGeorge and still receive a good scholarship would those schools be worth the time? Would any scholarship short of full tuition be worth it? I have visited the state many times for vacations and know I would love to live there but I also know that those schools are not ranked favorably, that the California bar is notoriously difficult and these schools don't have great employment rates. So any insight would be appreciated.
I definitely wouldn't consider Cal Western, even on full scholarship, and probably not McGeorge even with a big scholarship - maybe go there w/full scholarship. Maybe Chapman with a big scholarship and your numbers are borderline for getting a big scholarship there - maybe you'd get around 75% scholarship. Your numbers may just be good enough to get into San Diego or Hastings, but unless you're URM probably with no scholarship - maybe some scholarship at San Diego, although you're below their median GPA and LSAT so prob wouldn't be a sizeable scholarship. It's a very big risk to attend Loyola/Hastings/San Diego at full price. Chapman you don't have great employment options, but if you're open to starting at a DA's office in some less demand area, like San Berdardino, Riverside, maybe Central Valley, you may have opportunities. You won't have good DA opportunities anywhere near SD, LA, or SF. Of course if your parents are paying for school, just go to the best school you get into but if you'll be taking out loans, go where you can attend on a good scholarship. I believe all of the schools I mentioned have an application deadline no earlier than March 1, so you've got time. Doesn't hurt to send a free application. Ask for application fee waivers from the school if they don't automatically apply them. If you wouldn't be happy starting out as a DA in San Bernardino or Bakersfield after graduating, don't go to any of these schools.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 am

TGBU wrote:Hello all. I'm a Texas student who has been admitted to some schools already (for Fall2018) but due to some recent events in my family I've been considering applying to some schools in California. The only school in CA I applied to in my first round of applications was Loyola but I have yet to hear back from them. So the question I have is is it worth it to apply to the lower ranked schools (the ones I think would for sure take me) this late in the process?

First, take a year off and retake the LSAT. Study for it until you have recurring dreams of logic game scenarios. Study for it like the mafia will put a hit out on your family unless your score goes up.

Second, there is no such thing as "international law" except in law review journals.

Third, it is too late to apply. Yes, some schools will accept your application now, but you will go to the back of the line for scholarships and under perform your numbers. Take a year off.

theurbanzone

New

Post by theurbanzone » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I wouldn't go to any of the California schools you mentioned unless they gave me a full-ride. Even then, I would probably sit out the year and re-take the LSAT. The value proposition just isn't there for those schools. I'd rather go to USF than Chapman or McGeorge only because there are probably better employment (small to midsize firm) opportunities in the Bay Area than the Central Valley or LA for low tier school graduate.

I was out of school for a while before I decided to take the LSAT. I scored 157 on my first try and retook and got 161. With a 3.5 and decent story, that got me $105k at Hastings and a decent scholarship offer at Notre Dame. I am URM though, so that definitely helps. My two cents is to not rush into this unless you really have to, and scoring a few points higher will offset your 3.2 GPA.

ipse dixit

New

Post by ipse dixit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Brief Answer
Don't do it.

Discussion
I agree with the above posters that advise not going to any of the lower tier California schools. Even if you were offered a full-ride, you will have an extraordinarily difficult time getting a job after all is said and done.

You really should not attend any school in this state that is ranked lower than U.S.C. Law school is just too difficult and stressful to put yourself in a situation where you only have slim chances of employment.

That said, I suppose if you were in the top 5% of your class at any of those schools after 1L, you could transfer to other schools. I know some folks who went to Pepperdine and transferred to Yale, UCLA, USC and other schools. I also know folks at Loyola and USD who have done well. All that's to say that it's not impossible to succeed at those schools, the odds are just stacked against it.

Conclusion
Therefore, don't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”