Alaskan Picking a School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SnowTennis

New

Alaskan Picking a School

Post by SnowTennis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm

This is my first time posting on TLS. I'm not a traditional poster, in that I'm not looking to go to a t14 school. I've worked in the corporate world and I know big law isn't for me. I'm looking for a decent regional school, in an area I wouldn't mind living for the rest of my life. I love Alaska, and I have an opportunity to return to my father's law firm there upon graduation, but I'd like to allow myself an opportunity to establish my own in a new community before I try and fall back on my father's reputation.

I wasn't set on the region I wanted to work upon applying so I applied to a variety of areas. I'm incredibly partial to three schools that I believe would offer the best choice. That being said, I'm having a hard time picking between the three. Additionally, I'm worried I may be excluding a decent option out of ignorance to the area. Do any current students/grads have any feedback on the areas and the opportunities of these schools?

Interested

Loyola - New Orleans
70% Scholarship - 2.5 GPA Stipulation
Note: My fathers alma mater and most of my extended family lives here

University of Montana
50% Scholarship - 2.7 GPA Stipulation

St. Thomas University - Minneapolis
50% Scholarship - Unconditional Scholarship

Unsure
University of Arkansas - Little Rock
90% Scholarship - Top 60% of Class

Creighton University (Omaha, Nebraska)
40% Scholarship - 2.0 GPA Requirement

Lost Interest
University of Akron (Ohio)
70% Scholarship - Unconditional Scholarship
Note: I hate the area

Washburn University (Topeka, KS)
30% Schoalrship - 2.8 GPA

University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
Residency for the first year then automatic residency the second

University of North Dakota
Full Tuition

University of Missouri - Kansas City
Residency Scholarship - 2.0 GPA Requirement

University of Memphis
25% Scholarship - 2.0 GPA Requirement

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Alaskan Picking a School

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Unusual schools with respect to the typical TLS discussions.

What are your numbers (LSAT & GPA).

The problem with the listed law schools is that employment opportunities are not good for graduates of these schools.

Not sure as to whether or not this is a serious inquiry or a prank post, but if genuine, then you probably need to retake the LSAT for a higher score & better employment opportunities.

Also, why not any Canadian law schools ? Lower cost, better job prospects & closer to home (at least Western Canadian law schools).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Assuming that this is a serious inquiry, then focus on getting Montana to match Loyola's 70% scholarship offer. Loyola's employment numbers are very poor. Montana is decent if you want to work in a very small firm setting.

Did you consider Victoria or Univ. of British Columbia ? Easy for non-Canadian citizens to get Canadian work permit if a graduate of a Canadian university.

Montana is beautiful & great for outdoorsmen.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Another factor to consider: Louisiana is a civil code law state, not common law. If you attend Loyola-New Orleans & wish to practice in Louisiana, your experience will not be readily transferable to the other 49 states & DC if you decide to move.

Also, I don't know, but I suspect that Louisiana Bar will not have reciprocity with other state bars due to different legal systems.

SnowTennis

New

Post by SnowTennis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Unusual schools with respect to the typical TLS discussions.

The problem with the listed law schools is that employment opportunities are not good for graduates of these schools.

Not sure as to whether or not this is a serious inquiry or a prank post, but if genuine, then you probably need to retake the LSAT for a higher score & better employment opportunities.

Also, why not any Canadian law schools ? Lower cost, better job prospects & closer to home (at least Western Canadian law schools).
It's not a prank post. I imagine, I just don't have the same educational background or motivations as the traditional TLS poster.

3.0 GPA, 155 LSAT. I worked full time through my undergrad and took the LSAT once after studying for two months. I studied for it again after, for several months but my score plateaued.

I'm not interested in working in big law or DC. Although, I have worked in state government off and on. I understand there is a heightened risk of not receiving a return on investment when going to these schools, but it'd be ridiculous to assume that no opportunity exist at all. Many of these schools are their regions primary supplier of attorneys. I can personally mitigate some of that risk by returning to Alaska to work with my family if things don't pan out on my own. I'd be happy with either, but I'd prefer to try things on my own first.

That's why I was hoping to get feedback from students or graduates from these areas; to see what their experience was like.

Also, Canada blows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SnowTennis

New

Post by SnowTennis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:53 pm

SnowTennis wrote:

It's not a prank post. I imagine, I just don't have the same educational background or motivations as the traditional TLS poster.

3.0 GPA, 155 LSAT. I worked full time through my undergrad and took the LSAT once after studying for two months. I studied for it again after, for several months but my score plateaued.

I'm not interested in working in big law or DC. Although, I have worked in state government off and on. I understand there is a heightened risk of not receiving a return on investment when going to these schools, but it'd be ridiculous to assume that no opportunity exist at all. Many of these schools are their regions primary supplier of attorneys. I can personally mitigate some of that risk by returning to Alaska to work with my family if things don't pan out on my own. I'd be happy with either, but I'd prefer to try things on my own first.

That's why I was hoping to get feedback from students or graduates from these areas; to see what their experience was like.

Also, Canada blows.
I'm just now realizing Canada is in your UN. Sorry about that, Alberta just rubbed me the wrong way when I visited.

hey_isla

New

Post by hey_isla » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:07 pm

I went to the University of Arkansas for undergrad and am considering going back for law school. Let me tell you this - Fayetteville is a GREAT TOWN. My family and I are originally from New York, many from NYC, and they love coming up here. (I graduated, but I still work here. I’m going to law school two years out of school.)

Here are some random facts about UARK:
- every graduate gets his/her name etched into the sidewalk (Senior Walk) Mine’s there, I promise! It’s real.
- there is a large endowment pumped into academics
- Bill Clinton (maybe H too, not sure) taught at this school. The “Clinton House” is on campus
- it’s a vey hippie/outdoorsy town
- the cost of living here is amazing. I work in mortgage lending right now and I assure that you can get a really nice house here for much less than you could anywhere else in the country. Not a bad way to live if you decide to stay here.
- there’s a lot of booming industry keeping the economy afloat. Wal-Mart, Tyson, and JB Hunt all have their headquarters located in NWA.
- US News ranks Fayetteville as one of the best places to live. https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press ... es-to-live

I know it’s Arkansas, but there’s nothing quite like it.

Other facts:
- SEC football: also nothing quite like it
- Music Scene/ Nightlife = 10/10
- There’s someone/ something here for everyone

If you still aren’t interested in UARK, I respect that! I just wanted to give you some insider views. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions about UARK, Fay, the South, etc. good luck!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Those are some really random schools. Schools in the PNW and Rockies seem to make the most sense, particularly any flagship schools that you can get a big scholarship to attend.

We also don't know what the actual cost of attendance is here. For instance, half at Montana sounds maybe okay, but out of state tuition can be high at public schools, so it is impossible to tell if it is a good deal or not. Half will probably be similar to an in-state student paying full price, so not that great, but not terrible.

Opening a practice after law school is also extremely difficult (especially in insular communities) and usually ill-advised since law school doesn't teach you how to practice law or run a business. You also don't have any steady income so creditors are hesitant to loan some recent law school grad a bunch of money on his new practice. Not to mention the malpractice insurance and other practicalities.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Your decision seems to hinge more on where you want to live/practice, which is a personal decision we unfortunately can't help you out with much. I know you already have offers, but you might want to take the time to figure out what places you love before you anchor yourself to it. You seem undecided on rural vs. urban too. That being said, Loyola seems like some good money but, as someone already pointed out, Louisiana's legal system is much much much different than any other states, which would be a great hindrance to you relocating if it's not for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dn2017

New

Post by dn2017 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 am

SnowTennis wrote:This is my first time posting on TLS. I'm not a traditional poster, in that I'm not looking to go to a t14 school. I've worked in the corporate world and I know big law isn't for me. I'm looking for a decent regional school, in an area I wouldn't mind living for the rest of my life. I love Alaska, and I have an opportunity to return to my father's law firm there upon graduation, but I'd like to allow myself an opportunity to establish my own in a new community before I try and fall back on my father's reputation.

I wasn't set on the region I wanted to work upon applying so I applied to a variety of areas. I'm incredibly partial to three schools that I believe would offer the best choice. That being said, I'm having a hard time picking between the three. Additionally, I'm worried I may be excluding a decent option out of ignorance to the area. Do any current students/grads have any feedback on the areas and the opportunities of these schools?
This is the way to go if you are interested in Alaskan practice, fwiw:

https://law.seattleu.edu/academics/prog ... 3l-program

https://law.seattleu.edu/newsroom/2013- ... side-state

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 am

With all due respect, and take this as brotherly advice, why are you even considering these schools?
Why do you want to go to law school? Do you have specific career goals in mind that require a JD? Because not to sound rude but I think that an LSAT score below 160 should really discourage one from attending law school.

Also, I'm from MN and I can tell you that St Thomas is NOT a major supplier of attorneys in the state. Heck, U of MN law school is struggling in placing graduates and I know many St Thomas (and Mitchell Hamline) students with no prospects beyond part-time or volunteer/unpaid internship positions.

SnowTennis wrote:

Also, Canada blows.

jfadamson

New

Post by jfadamson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 am

[quote="beinghuman"]"Because not to sound rude but I think that an LSAT score below 160 should really discourage one from attending law school."

LOL... Plenty of schools offer decent scholarship packages below 160. He could graduate with little debt and be fine below 160.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Outside the T13 and "Super Regionals" (most of the remaining T20, plus a few T1 schools), you should attend law school in the state/region you wish to practice in. J.D.s from lower-ranked schools are not readily portable. If you wish to practice in Montana, you should not attend law school in Minnesota or Louisiana (or vice versa).

I also recommend investigating what these schools' curves are, which will give you an idea of what % of the class you must stay in to maintain your conditional scholly. You should assume median performance in law school, so if you'd have to stay in the top quarter or third or what have you to maintain your scholly, that'd be a very risky bet IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”