Michigan ($30k) vs Northwestern ($40k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan ($30k) vs Northwestern ($40k)

Michigan
37%
Northwestern
63%

Total votes: 46

TobyFlenderson

New

Michigan ($30k) vs Northwestern ($40k)

Post by TobyFlenderson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Punched above my weight and got into both Michigan and Northwestern which are my top two choices (in between 25th and 50th percentile GPA and 75th percentile LSAT for each). Currently in NYC as a Biglaw paralegal but I need a break from NYC. Ultimately want Biglaw and would be happy in either Chicago or New York. I know NW has the clear Chicago edge and Michigan has NYC but I've been building a network in NYC via my job, plus my family is there. Would NW put me at a disadvantage if I ultimately want to end up back in NY? Haven't been to NW yet but I've been to Chicago a few times and love the city. Sibling went to Michigan undergrad so I've been there a bunch as well; Ann Arbor is a fun town but scared I could get bored there quickly. Also a little nervous that the older student body at NW would be a little less social (I'm 24 and single). What do you guys think?

cavalier1138

Re: Michigan ($30k) vs Northwestern ($40k)

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Are the parenthetical numbers your total scholarship offer? What's your COA at each?

TobyFlenderson

New

Post by TobyFlenderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Are the parenthetical numbers your total scholarship offer? What's your COA at each?
Yeah those are my totals. Haven't done a full COA analysis yet but I imagine Michigan would be cheaper because Ann Arbor is cheaper than Chicago. I did some thinking last night and came up with pros and cons for each school:

NORTHWESTERN
Pros:
- Living in Chicago would give me a good sense of whether I'd want to settle down there or move back to NY. And I'd prefer to live in a city than a college town at this point
- Better Biglaw placement especially for Chicago
- Smaller school
- Places fairly well in NY for a secondary market and with my family/professional ties to NY I feel like I could make that work
- More to do socially (i.e., a legit bar scene)
Cons:
- Doesn't place as well in NY as Michigan
- More expensive/higher COA
- Older student body (with more couples married or in serious relationships) might be less social

MICHIGAN
Pros:
- Better NY placement
- Lower COA
- The Michigan factor (football, school spirit, massive alumni network)
- Younger (more social?) student body

Cons:
- Ann Arbor would get old quickly
- Worse Biglaw placement
- Wouldn't get the chanace to see if I like Chicago or not
- Social options are party like an undergrad or bust (anyone who's been to Skeeps or Rick's knows exactly what I mean)

Hope this helps! Any input is greatly appreciated.

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am

TobyFlenderson wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Are the parenthetical numbers your total scholarship offer? What's your COA at each?
Yeah those are my totals. Haven't done a full COA analysis yet but I imagine Michigan would be cheaper because Ann Arbor is cheaper than Chicago. I did some thinking last night and came up with pros and cons for each school:

NORTHWESTERN
Pros:
- Living in Chicago would give me a good sense of whether I'd want to settle down there or move back to NY. And I'd prefer to live in a city than a college town at this point
- Smaller school
- Places fairly well in NY for a secondary market and with my family/professional ties to NY I feel like I could make that work
Cons:
- Older student body (with more couples married or in serious relationships) might be less social

MICHIGAN
Pros:
- Better NY placement
- Lower COA

Cons:
- Worse Biglaw placement
- Social options are party like an undergrad or bust (anyone who's been to Skeeps or Rick's knows exactly what I mean)

There Lower placement at Michigan into big law is from self selection, if you look at their employment stats they have always have more students that other schools doing public interest

TobyFlenderson

New

Post by TobyFlenderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm

jimmyplayer601 wrote:
TobyFlenderson wrote:

NORTHWESTERN
Pros:
- Smaller school
Cons:

MICHIGAN
Pros:
- Better NY placement
- Lower COA

Cons:
- Worse Biglaw placement

There Lower placement at Michigan into big law is from self selection, if you look at their employment stats they have always have more students that other schools doing public interest
I knew Michigan is more PI focused so thanks for the clarification. How much should that factor into my decision? My gut says Northwestern at the moment but I can be persuaded if Michigan is that much more worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Clearly there is no wrong choice; the better choice, in my opinion, based on your desire to test out living in Chicago & because you are ready to move on to a professional social scene is Northwestern.

Another factor in recommending Northwestern over Michigan in your situation is that you are already familiar with Ann Arbor & indicate in your post that you prefer a different type of environment.

Again, no wrong choice. Congratulations !

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I went to NU and think you should just go wherever is cheaper after negotiations (or if they’re about the same then where you’d prefer to live for three years) The schools are peer schools and the employment stats are basically a wash when you account for self-selection.

TobyFlenderson

New

Post by TobyFlenderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Mullens wrote:I went to NU and think you should just go wherever is cheaper after negotiations (or if they’re about the same then where you’d prefer to live for three years) The schools are peer schools and the employment stats are basically a wash when you account for self-selection.
As an NU alum would how would you say the student body is in terms of social life? Is everyone married/seriously committed to a relationship and just stays in on weekends or are there enough mid 20s people who like to hit the bars and have fun? I have friends from undergrad in Chicago but I'd obviously like to make some friends in law school as well.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm

TobyFlenderson wrote:
Mullens wrote:I went to NU and think you should just go wherever is cheaper after negotiations (or if they’re about the same then where you’d prefer to live for three years) The schools are peer schools and the employment stats are basically a wash when you account for self-selection.
As an NU alum would how would you say the student body is in terms of social life? Is everyone married/seriously committed to a relationship and just stays in on weekends or are there enough mid 20s people who like to hit the bars and have fun? I have friends from undergrad in Chicago but I'd obviously like to make some friends in law school as well.
The median age for 1Ls is only like 25 or 26 I think. There are plenty of people who are social (even married can be social btw) and I regularly went out with law school friends in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 am

I go to Michigan and will cosign on this. There's plenty to love about Ann Arbor (I say this as someone who came from NYC and is headed back there) and tons of people to date, but if you wanna be in a city...be in a city.

Also, sounds like skeeps is losing their license this summer :(.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 pm

I made the same choice when transferring. Another factor to consider is that living in CHI will be a lot more expensive, probably $10k more a year than Ann Arbor.

curepure

New

Post by curepure » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Went to NU, I'd say if you wanna explore consulting/banking in case law practice isn't a fit, Northwestern/Kellogg gives you a very broad alum network in those industries in Chitown

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Try getting Michigan to match.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”