Which non-T14 schools have the most geographic portability? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lexikh

New

Which non-T14 schools have the most geographic portability?

Post by lexikh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 am

I cannot get into a T14 school (3.2GPA/167 LSAT). However, I also do not know what market I want to work in. I would like to be able to move wherever my husband's job takes him, which could be anywhere. I was thinking schools along the lines of Notre Dame, Vanderbilt (not sure I could get in there), WUSTL, etc? I obviously would also like to attend somewhere that will give me a decent scholarship. Thanks in advance :)

Pls don't come at me with "you HAVE to know where you want to practice". I just don't, okay? I have no idea where life will be taking me and I just want to be able to have a $100k + job wherever i might end up.

blueapple

Silver

Re: Which non-T14 schools have the most geographic portability?

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 am

I have a feeling you're not going to like this advice, but you should either retake so you can get into a T14 or you need to have a better idea of where you want to practice. Your LSAT will let you get into some good regional schools with good scholarships, but those schools are just that - regional. You'll be taking a huge risk if you don't retake.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 am

lexikh wrote:I just want to be able to have a $100k + job wherever i might end up.
That means biglaw. So hustle and retake.

But also, how often does your husband's job require moving?

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

I just want to be able to have a $100k + job wherever i might end up.
Then take the MCAT or DAT?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 pm

lexikh wrote:I cannot get into a T14 school (3.2GPA/167 LSAT). However, I also do not know what market I want to work in. I would like to be able to move wherever my husband's job takes him, which could be anywhere. I was thinking schools along the lines of Notre Dame, Vanderbilt (not sure I could get in there), WUSTL, etc? I obviously would also like to attend somewhere that will give me a decent scholarship. Thanks in advance :)

Pls don't come at me with "you HAVE to know where you want to practice". I just don't, okay? I have no idea where life will be taking me and I just want to be able to have a $100k + job wherever i might end up.
Others are correct. If you want true geographic flexibility, you need to retake.

Otherwise, you are most likely going to be limited (at least initially) to working (a) where you go to school; or (b) where you already have ties. However, even getting a job where you go to school could be difficult in some regions if you have no ties.

Now, that's not to say you'll be stuck in one place forever. If you pick an area of law that's heavily regulated by the feds. Say communications, energy, healthcare, immigration, that you might find you have flexibility once you have established yourself and are admitted for five years (making your bar entrance more easily transferable to other states, n.b. this depends heavily upon where you're admitted in the first place). Similarly, if you're doing work that's heavily influenced by state law, moving will be much more difficult.

If you don't like that prospect, retake and get into the T-14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Outside of the T14, GULC is the only school with real national reach. Within the T20 there's a few "super regionals" like Vandy, WUSTL, etc. that place within a relatively broad region, but don't have national reach. Outside of the T20 schools are extremely regional, with maybe 1 or 2 that act as a super regional in terms of reach but not in terms of outcome quality.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 am

Notre Dame has national reach. Most schools are regional because students self select that way. No one in California or Texas (if you end up there for example) is going to say nope never heard of Notre Dame; not welcome here. You’ll tell them you live there now because of your husbands and you’ll have ties and that’ll be the end of the question.

The tricky part about your ask is 100k job required. Lots of law jobs don’t pay six figures for the first few years. It could take 5-7 years after law school before making 109k.

rokiv

New

Post by rokiv » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 pm

Johann wrote:Notre Dame has national reach. Most schools are regional because students self select that way. No one in California or Texas (if you end up there for example) is going to say nope never heard of Notre Dame; not welcome here. You’ll tell them you live there now because of your husbands and you’ll have ties and that’ll be the end of the question.

The tricky part about your ask is 100k job required. Lots of law jobs don’t pay six figures for the first few years. It could take 5-7 years after law school before making 109k.
I don’t think ND has true “national reach.” You’re not going to find a job in Texas out of ND if you don’t have substantial ties or some other compelling reason for going there. Which, admittedly, OPs spousal situation may help her with. Even NDs primary market, Chicago, can be weary of ND kids who aren’t from the Midwest.

My point being, ND will help you marginally if you want to end up in NYC, DC, or Chicago (as compared to other non-T14s), but it won’t help you with places like LA/SF, Texas, PNW or St Louis if you don’t already have ties there.

ND is a solid option with a substantial scholarship, and if you’re ok not getting biglaw. It’s by no means a guarantee that you’ll find a job paying $100k+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”