American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi everyone. I have been offered a $100k scholarship at American University Washington College of Law. My goal is to be a Counsel on Capitol Hill - I already have Hill employment so I'm not really concerned about finding employment once I graduate. Student loan repayment (and, worst case scenario, student loan forgiveness) will be my friend. Any thoughts?

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Employment SHOULD scare you. Unless you have a signed contract with your future employer, you don't have squat. 3-4 years is a long time on the hill. 50% of all American grads WILL NEVER WORK AS LAWYERS. Not for pennies. NEVER. That should scare the living hell out of anyone thinking about attending.

What is your COA? If its not free, American is not worth it. That place is a dumpster fire.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

User avatar
Cogburn1984

New
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby Cogburn1984 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Employment SHOULD scare you. Unless you have a signed contract with your future employer, you don't have squat. 3-4 years is a long time on the hill. 50% of all American grads WILL NEVER WORK AS LAWYERS. Not for pennies. NEVER. That should scare the living hell out of anyone thinking about attending.

What is your COA? If its not free, American is not worth it. That place is a dumpster fire.


Serious question. LST reports that 50 % of AU graduates haven't found work as lawyers up to 9 months after graduating, do we know with certainty that these people never find any kind of legal employment. Not defending AU by any means, but that statement seems unsupported.

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.
Last edited by madea on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for close to a decade.


And how many people in counsel positions got their JD at American?

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Cogburn1984 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Employment SHOULD scare you. Unless you have a signed contract with your future employer, you don't have squat. 3-4 years is a long time on the hill. 50% of all American grads WILL NEVER WORK AS LAWYERS. Not for pennies. NEVER. That should scare the living hell out of anyone thinking about attending.

What is your COA? If its not free, American is not worth it. That place is a dumpster fire.


Serious question. LST reports that 50 % of AU graduates haven't found work as lawyers up to 9 months after graduating, do we know with certainty that these people never find any kind of legal employment. Not defending AU by any means, but that statement seems unsupported.


You are right this is how the statistic works in this case, but it generally seems to be from experience that if you don't get a legal job within 9 months of graduating, you are likely to never practice. There are exceptions, but this minority tends to be so small as fairly irrelevant.

of2273

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby of2273 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Unrelated to your question, but how/when did you find out about your scholarship? You're the first person I've heard mention a scholarship from AUWCL.

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for close to a decade.


And how many people in counsel positions got their JD at American?

Looking at Legistorm - a lot.

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.


have you considered all the people with hill experience at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, the rest of the t13 schools, plus the better DC schools of GT and GW that will ALL get a shot at these jobs before someone at American? Because there are a significant number of former hill staffers in the t13 alone that would all go back and can't because of the competitiveness of these jobs.

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.


have you considered all the people with hill experience at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, the rest of the t13 schools, plus the better DC schools of GT and GW that will ALL get a shot at these jobs before someone at American? Because there are a significant number of former hill staffers in the t13 alone that would all go back and can't because of the competitiveness of these jobs.

I appreciate your point, and it's a very good one. I did things a bit backwards and secured the employment first before my diploma. I should have clarified in the op that I have applied as a part-time student and will be keeping my job as I go to school.
Last edited by madea on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm

madea wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.


have you considered all the people with hill experience at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, the rest of the t13 schools, plus the better DC schools of GT and GW that will ALL get a shot at these jobs before someone at American? Because there are a significant number of former hill staffers in the t13 alone that would all go back and can't because of the competitiveness of these jobs.

I appreciate your point, and it's a very good one. I did things a bit backwards and secured the employment first before my diploma. I should have clarified in the op that I have applied as a part-time student and will be keeping my job as I go to school.


This is unclear to me. I would imagine you aren't a Counsel on the hill as you are not currently a lawyer, so you have a different job now than the one you want. So someone has promised you advancement to a legal counsel job once you complete your degree, correct?

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.


have you considered all the people with hill experience at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, the rest of the t13 schools, plus the better DC schools of GT and GW that will ALL get a shot at these jobs before someone at American? Because there are a significant number of former hill staffers in the t13 alone that would all go back and can't because of the competitiveness of these jobs.

I appreciate your point, and it's a very good one. I did things a bit backwards and secured the employment first before my diploma. I should have clarified in the op that I have applied as a part-time student and will be keeping my job as I go to school.


This is unclear to me. I would imagine you aren't a Counsel on the hill as you are not currently a lawyer, so you have a different job now than the one you want. So someone has promised you advancement to a legal counsel job once you complete your degree, correct?

Yes, I am not currently a Counsel but I have a gig waiting for me if/when I graduate. Details (like $) are murky and I'm not comfortable pushing the subject for a variety of reasons - but as I mentioned worst case scenario I have loan repayment to fall back on.

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm

madea wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
madea wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm also confused about why you aren't worried about employment unless you don't particularly care whether you're employed as a lawyer after graduation.

I also highly doubt that counsel on the Hill are coming from American. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that seems like a competitive enough position that most students at AU are going to be boxed out.

Every office on the Hill is very different but in many, probably most, offices, Hill experience is more valuable than the prestige of your school. I have been working here now for a fairly long time.


have you considered all the people with hill experience at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, the rest of the t13 schools, plus the better DC schools of GT and GW that will ALL get a shot at these jobs before someone at American? Because there are a significant number of former hill staffers in the t13 alone that would all go back and can't because of the competitiveness of these jobs.

I appreciate your point, and it's a very good one. I did things a bit backwards and secured the employment first before my diploma. I should have clarified in the op that I have applied as a part-time student and will be keeping my job as I go to school.


This is unclear to me. I would imagine you aren't a Counsel on the hill as you are not currently a lawyer, so you have a different job now than the one you want. So someone has promised you advancement to a legal counsel job once you complete your degree, correct?

Yes, I am not currently a Counsel but I have a gig waiting for me if/when I graduate. Details (like $) are murky and I'm not comfortable pushing the subject for a variety of reasons - but as I mentioned worst case scenario I have loan repayment to fall back on.


Okay so just admit you dont have a gig waiting for you. If details are murky and not written down and signed by all the parties, then you are taking a risk for a chance at a job. You do not have guaranteed employment and you should not expect to have that job waiting for you. Do you know anything about repaying 100-200k in loans? Because that would be your future.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Yeah, if it's "murky," then you don't have details. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, even if you think that you're totally going to love being saddled with $200k+ in debt for the next ten years.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19677
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby Johann » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 am

madea wrote:Hi everyone. I have been offered a $100k scholarship at American University Washington College of Law. My goal is to be a Counsel on Capitol Hill - I already have Hill employment so I'm not really concerned about finding employment once I graduate. Student loan repayment (and, worst case scenario, student loan forgiveness) will be my friend. Any thoughts?

seeing as how youd be part time and need a local school for your shoehorn into the counsel gig, its either gtown or american. if you trust the people that tell you youre good, id roll with american. you could get burned, but PAYE/IBR loan repayment will minimize the harshness of that downside. worst case scenario, you stay in your current job and pay 8ish% of your income to loans for 10 years before complete forgiveness.

if hill counsel is your true dream and much more important thany our current gig, id go for it.

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Johann wrote:
madea wrote:Hi everyone. I have been offered a $100k scholarship at American University Washington College of Law. My goal is to be a Counsel on Capitol Hill - I already have Hill employment so I'm not really concerned about finding employment once I graduate. Student loan repayment (and, worst case scenario, student loan forgiveness) will be my friend. Any thoughts?

seeing as how youd be part time and need a local school for your shoehorn into the counsel gig, its either gtown or american. if you trust the people that tell you youre good, id roll with american. you could get burned, but PAYE/IBR loan repayment will minimize the harshness of that downside. worst case scenario, you stay in your current job and pay 8ish% of your income to loans for 10 years before complete forgiveness.

if hill counsel is your true dream and much more important thany our current gig, id go for it.

Thank you for this information, Johann.

globetrotter659

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby globetrotter659 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Sounds like OP has been hired as a Legislative Assistant with the possibility to be “promoted” to a Legislative Counsel after obtaining a JD. The question for you is whether the debt is worth being a Leg Counsel versus an LA. In some offices there is no substantive difference between a Legislative Counsel and a senior LA.

Also if American has LRAP, check whether it’s applies to non-JD required Hill jobs.
Last edited by globetrotter659 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 pm

if the job is in hand, why go to AU? why not take more scholly at a lower ranked school like Catholic or UDC?

conversely, if you're all-in on PAYE or PSLF why worry about schollys at all? Why not make a push for GW/GULC?

madea

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby madea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm

globetrotter659 wrote:Sounds like OP has been hired as a Legislative Assistant with the possibility to be “promoted” to a Legislative Counsel after obtaining a JD. The question for you is whether the debt is worth being a Leg Counsel versus an LA. In some offices there is no substantive difference between a Legislative Counsel and a senior LA.

Also if American has LRAP, check whether it’s applies to non-JD required Hill jobs.

You are right on the money. I am a Legislative Assistant for a wonderful U.S. Senator who can make me a Counsel with the snap of a finger.

sparkytrainer

Bronze
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: American University WCL ($100k scholarship)

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 pm

madea wrote:
globetrotter659 wrote:Sounds like OP has been hired as a Legislative Assistant with the possibility to be “promoted” to a Legislative Counsel after obtaining a JD. The question for you is whether the debt is worth being a Leg Counsel versus an LA. In some offices there is no substantive difference between a Legislative Counsel and a senior LA.

Also if American has LRAP, check whether it’s applies to non-JD required Hill jobs.

You are right on the money. I am a Legislative Assistant for a wonderful U.S. Senator who can make me a Counsel with the snap of a finger.


key: "can" is not "guaranteed with a signed contract".




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests