Dickinson, Villanova, Richmond, Maryland, UConn? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zmathe18

New

Dickinson, Villanova, Richmond, Maryland, UConn?

Post by zmathe18 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 pm

So far I have been accepted all over the place at middle tier law schools (3.67 GPA from prestigious liberal arts school + 159 LSAT, but a D1 college athlete for what that's worth). I am from central PA and received a full tuition scholarship to Dickinson. What are Dickinson's employment and salary outcomes?

The other places I have been accepted at are Maryland, Richmond and Villanova with no word on scholarship information yet.

Additionally, I have been accepted at UConn for some money, UMiami for some money, and Catholic and Duquesne for a full ride as well.

UConn, Dickinson (for free), Penn State (for free), Duquesne (for free), Catholic (for free), Richmond, Maryland or Villanova?

cavalier1138

Re: Dickinson, Villanova, Richmond, Maryland, UConn?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm

You've applied all over the place. What are your career goals, and where do you want to work?

Also, use LST for school employment outcomes. That information can also be found by looking at the individual school's website, but LST makes it easier to read and compare outcomes.

zmathe18

New

Post by zmathe18 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I am pretty flexible about where I practice as long as I end up on the east coast; ultimately, I would like to use a law degree to enter college athletics (many ADs and people who work for the NCAA have law degrees and it is becoming increasingly that way)

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm

zmathe18 wrote:I am pretty flexible about where I practice as long as I end up on the east coast; ultimately, I would like to use a law degree to enter college athletics (many ADs and people who work for the NCAA have law degrees and it is becoming increasingly that way)
how many of them have degrees from the schools youve been accepted too?
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zmathe18

New

Post by zmathe18 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I would guess 99% of college athletic directors have some sort of post-graduate degree (5-10% law, 20-30% MBA, 20-30% masters in sport management, 20-30% masters in education)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm

zmathe18 wrote:I would guess 99% of college athletic directors have some sort of post-graduate degree (5-10% law, 20-30% MBA, 20-30% masters in sport management, 20-30% masters in education)
If you don't want to practice law, don't go to law school.

And you also didn't answer the question. Of that 5-10%, how many have degrees from the schools you're considering?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm

I did an unscientific survey of athletic directors at random Division I schools that came to mind, with an East Coast bias, and I'm not seeing the JD connection that OP apparently does. It doesn't even seem necessary to have anything more than a bachelors, and although it's probably helpful to have some kind of grad degree (decent number of MBAs, as well as MAs/PhDs in random stuff like psychology), most of these people went back to school having already gained some experience as a coach or in university administration.

UMass - no JD
Harvard - no JD
UConn - no JD
Princeton - no JD
Maryland - no JD
Duke - no JD
UNC - no JD
UVA - no JD
Florida - no JD
Alabama - no JD
Vanderbilt - U Detroit (JD), NYU (LLM). Fascinating path to the AD job that would be hard to replicate.
Stanford - no JD

So I'm also curious where OP is getting the idea that
zmathe18 wrote:many ADs and people who work for the NCAA have law degrees and it is becoming increasingly that way

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

In general, going to law school in the pursuit of a career not in law is a bad idea. Even if you get a full ride, there's the opportunity cost of 3 years of your life. If you want to be an Athletic Director, apply for jobs in an AD's office and work your way up. Going to law school hoping it'll put you on track to become an AD seems very misguided.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”