Try applying with February LSAT?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
farran34
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Try applying with February LSAT?

Postby farran34 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm

(This is my first post on this site, though I have been a long time reader)

I know there have been many posts on TLS highly discouraging applying with the February LSAT due to the lateness of the applications, but I wanted clarification on whether or not it would hurt to try applying with the option of reapplying early next cycle if this cycle does not produce good results. I have not seen this question directly answered, as the question normally asked is whether or not they should apply with the February LSAT with hopes of going this cycle no matter what the results.

I am slightly above the 75% for the GPA of the school I want to attend, and (if nothing goes wrong) I should be above the 75% LSAT score on the february LSAT according to my practice tests. This should make me at least a top 25% GPA LSAT applicant, and the school I want to attend and apply to this cycle offers around 40% full rides--which should normally make me a very good candidate for a full tuition scholarship .

Now, I know that scholarship offers start being limited when applying this late in the cycle, but considering I would be a very number competitive applicant I am thinking there is still a good chance I could be offered a full ride through negotiation.

The most obvious and logical path for an assured full ride would be to sit out a cycle and apply early next cycle, but I would prefer not to take a gap year if it is not necessary (I won't get any meaningful or well paying job and, hopefully, will already have the LSAT score I want from the February test).

My question is whether or not it is worth applying this cycle with the February LSAT (assuming I hit above the school's 75%), and accepting only if I get offered a full ride. If I do not get a full ride I would re-apply early next Fall when more scholarship money is available. The only two negatives I see are:
1. I get offered a full ride this cycle, but would have otherwise been offered a stipend in addition if I applied early next cycle
2. The school holds it against me in some way that I reapplied

Negative #1 does not bother me enough to keep me from applying this cycle with the February LSAT, but #2 does. Is there any reason to think that a school would hold it against me for not accepting their offer this cycle and waiting for more money next cycle? If not, I see no down side in applying this cycle and will probably due so, if this is a real concern it is probably not worth the risk. Any thoughts?

albanach
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Try applying with February LSAT?

Postby albanach » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:50 pm

farran34 wrote:
Now, I know that scholarship offers start being limited when applying this late in the cycle, but considering I would be a very number competitive applicant I am thinking there is still a good chance I could be offered a full ride through negotiation.


They can't give you money that they've already offered to someone else. And they're not going to go ask the school endowment board for an extra handout.

Unless someone who has accepted scholarship dollars indicates that they are no longer going to matriculate, it's very unlikely there will be anything in the pot.

User avatar
Rigo
Freight Elevator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Try applying with February LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Sure.
Apply to more than one school so you can negotiate though.

farran34
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Try applying with February LSAT?

Postby farran34 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:47 pm

albanach wrote:
farran34 wrote:
Now, I know that scholarship offers start being limited when applying this late in the cycle, but considering I would be a very number competitive applicant I am thinking there is still a good chance I could be offered a full ride through negotiation.


They can't give you money that they've already offered to someone else. And they're not going to go ask the school endowment board for an extra handout.

Unless someone who has accepted scholarship dollars indicates that they are no longer going to matriculate, it's very unlikely there will be anything in the pot.


That is what I am thinking might happen. Although, I figure as long as applying this cycle won't affect me negatively next cycle it is worth seeing if they have money left by applying I guess.

farran34
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Try applying with February LSAT?

Postby farran34 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Rigo wrote:Sure.
Apply to more than one school so you can negotiate though.

Good idea, thanks.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 38981928, BlondeAmbiti0n, personpitch, Tamargo, Teedy_Roosevelt, UVA2B and 5 guests