Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jniw16

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby jniw16 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

UM gave me a full scholarship and my family lives in the area so living expenses shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned with whether or not it's worth my time? I do not want to waste 3 years of my time and then not get a job. I can see myself working for the government or a mid/big firm. Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term and I have heard that UM is a very regional school.

The next best offer is from W&M, where I would have to take out about $52k for tuition and such (not including living expenses). Seriously considering this.

I was hoping any UM/other law students out there would share their opinion as to if the school is worth it in terms of getting a legal education and finding a job.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby UVA2B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Don't go to Miami if you don't want to practice in South Florida. It's a marginal option when you do.

None of your other options currently are good for your goals.*

*Edit/caveat: if you mean state and local government, this isn't true. If you're imagining federal government jobs, it stands.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:53 pm

jniw16 wrote:I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

UM gave me a full scholarship and my family lives in the area so living expenses shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned with whether or not it's worth my time? I do not want to waste 3 years of my time and then not get a job. I can see myself working for the government or a mid/big firm. Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term and I have heard that UM is a very regional school.

The next best offer is from W&M, where I would have to take out about $52k for tuition and such (not including living expenses). Seriously considering this.

I was hoping any UM/other law students out there would share their opinion as to if the school is worth it in terms of getting a legal education and finding a job.


Would you be okay with WM's median employment outcome?

jniw16

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby jniw16 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am

Dcc617 wrote:
jniw16 wrote:I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

UM gave me a full scholarship and my family lives in the area so living expenses shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned with whether or not it's worth my time? I do not want to waste 3 years of my time and then not get a job. I can see myself working for the government or a mid/big firm. Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term and I have heard that UM is a very regional school.

The next best offer is from W&M, where I would have to take out about $52k for tuition and such (not including living expenses). Seriously considering this.

I was hoping any UM/other law students out there would share their opinion as to if the school is worth it in terms of getting a legal education and finding a job.


Would you be okay with WM's median employment outcome?


Yeah. Looking at their employment data, most students end up in law firms and government jobs. They sent me a break down of firms and government departments and it looks good. It's not my first choice law school but I think its my best offer.

User avatar
fonzeee

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby fonzeee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm

**know-nothing 0L disclaimer**

If this is true...

jniw16 wrote: Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term


You probably shouldn't go there IMO.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Piling on with the "don't go to UM if you don't want to live in Miami long-term" crowd. Also, don't go to another non-t13 school if you aren't okay with working in the geographic vicinity that they are in.

User avatar
OakBrook2021

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have friends that have gone to UM law (and my old neighbor is a prof),and all of them have told me you have to be SURE you want to practice in Miami. If you're ok with state/local government or a small firm AND want to live in Miami then UM with a full ride could be a fantastic option. If you want to work at a big firm or clerk for a federal judge look elsewhere because there's an 85% chance you won't be in the top 15%.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests