t-14 sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nice

New

t-14 sticker

Post by nice » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm

3.1/173. non-urm, a couple years of WE.

currently minimal savings, but UG debt is paid off. would be financing it all with loans. thing is, i'm set on PI. should i ever consider paying sticker for a top school. i dont know much about PSLF or LRAP.

tear me a new one please.

mcmand

Silver

Re: t-14 sticker

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 pm

How risk-averse are you?
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm

You should learn about pslf and lrap if you’re considering making a 500k (300k plus interest over life of koan) decision. Stop being lazy and do you’re homework.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Johann wrote:You should learn about pslf and lrap if you’re considering making a 500k (300k plus interest over life of koan) decision. Stop being lazy and do you’re homework.
I... I agree with Johann.

Can someone check if the Sun has become black as sackcloth and the Moon red as blood?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johann wrote:You should learn about pslf and lrap if you’re considering making a 500k (300k plus interest over life of koan) decision. Stop being lazy and do you’re homework.
I... I agree with Johann.

Can someone check if the Sun has become black as sackcloth and the Moon red as blood?
Not OP, but any suggestions for resources? I can read a school's LRAP policy but that still doesn't mean I know how it works in real life. Same on PSLF or loan repayment plans. I've been slowly wading through the "loan repayment numbers" thread to try to get an idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm

rowdy wrote:Not OP, but any suggestions for resources? I can read a school's LRAP policy but that still doesn't mean I know how it works in real life. Same on PSLF or loan repayment plans. I've been slowly wading through the "loan repayment numbers" thread to try to get an idea.
I have no idea why this was never stickied in the Financial Aid forum, but as far as I know, the spreadsheet in this thread is still accurate.

For PSLF, the government is pretty clear on the details and the variations between payment plans. A lot of schools also include that information in their FAQs for LRAP, because most of them have integrated PSLF into their programs.

The main thing to keep in mind is that PSLF is a government-run forgiveness program. It does not depend on a school's LRAP, just on your employment in eligible positions for 120 IBR/PAYE payments. LRAPs are school-run, and they involve your school actually taking care of monthly payments for you. Some LRAPs only cover people using IBR/PAYE payment schedules for PSLF, and others will cover repayment under a regular plan.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes you should be concerned since that GPA disqualifies you from the LRAPs that protect against negative amortization. A lot can happen in 10-13 years.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

What I'm discovering with my post-grad job search is that a T14 for PI was unnecessary and even feels like a liability sometimes. I went to one and took on debt instead of going to a state school for free because I thought it would be more 'portable' but really, a legit local non-profit across the country is not impressed. Unless you are wanting the unicorn jobs like ACLU or prestigious fellowships or whatever, I would say just go to the closest state school near where you want to work and intern at the places you want to work at after graduation. I would not take on sticker debt, esp for such an ambiguous goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”