Tier 2 in NY Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dee16

New

Tier 2 in NY

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:09 pm

I am "unfortunately" located on Long Island. I am sure I will only be able to get in to a Tier 2 school, but I understand that with the over saturation in nyc that it may be difficult for me to get a decent job post graduation if I attend a Tier 2.. Should I attempt to move out of this market? Any suggestions on an alternative location?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Tier 2 in NY

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Well what are your career goals?
Can you not improve your stats and thus your situation?

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Rigo wrote:Well what are your career goals?
I could potentially raise my lsat. But my gpa is relatively low in my opinion. However, I am currently taking a gap year and my family will not be too keen on taking more time off.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 pm

what do you want to do with your law degree?

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm

dee16 wrote:
I could potentially raise my lsat. But my gpa is relatively low in my opinion. However, I am currently taking a gap year and my family will not be too keen on taking more time off.
What exactly is your GPA and LSAT? What do you want to do as an attorney? Where do you want to practice?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:40 pm

If you want good advice you have to provide specific numbers

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
What exactly is your GPA and LSAT? What do you want to do as an attorney? Where do you want to practice?
My gpa is a 3.22 and my LSAT is a 154. International law very much interests me, and I'd like to stay in the LI/NYC area because all of my family is here, but I'm not strictly opposed to moving for a career opportunity.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Re-take your LSAT, score at least a 165, apply to Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, then pick the school that gives you the most scholarship money. Fordham is the best out of those schools but also the most expensive.

The better your LSAT score, the better your options.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 pm

dee16 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
My gpa is a 3.22 and my LSAT is a 154. International law very much interests me, and I'd like to stay in the LI/NYC area because all of my family is here, but I'm not strictly opposed to moving for a career opportunity.
If you're willing to move for your career, you should be willing to retake the LSAT and increase your chances at a large scholarship to a local school or even a shot at a T13. Law school is not a good option with your numbers right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
If you're willing to move for your career, you should be willing to retake the LSAT and increase your chances at a large scholarship to a local school or even a shot at a T13. Law school is not a good option with your numbers right now.
Do you think even with my relatively low gpa I could increase my lsat high enough for that?

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:50 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Re-take your LSAT, score at least a 165, apply to Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, then pick the school that gives you the most scholarship money. Fordham is the best out of those schools but also the most expensive.

That was my original plan, but Fordham is now likely out of the question, but Brooklyn and Cardozo I could maybe still have a shot at. My more recent problem is certain people in my life telling me that T2 schools won't get me anywhere, which is why I'm now beginning to question my decisions.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Brooklyn and Cardozo are going to be prohibitively expensive if you get in and you shouldn't go to local schools below them (the Touro's of the world).

The people telling you you won't get anywhere with a T2 school are being hyperbolic, but it'd probably be better to heed the spirit of what they're saying than to flat out dismiss it as false and stubbornly plow forward.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 pm

dee16 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Re-take your LSAT, score at least a 165, apply to Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, then pick the school that gives you the most scholarship money. Fordham is the best out of those schools but also the most expensive.

That was my original plan, but Fordham is now likely out of the question, but Brooklyn and Cardozo I could maybe still have a shot at. My more recent problem is certain people in my life telling me that T2 schools won't get me anywhere, which is why I'm now beginning to question my decisions.
International Law isn't really a thing. If you give it a lot of consideration and take the time to find out what it is that different types of attorneys do and determine you want to be one, then by all means retake the LSAT. A T2 can get you "somewhere" if that means working for a small firm or in local government, and you're willing to hustle.

On the other hand, do not go to law school because you don't have another plan/you've always just planned on going. A ton of people do this, and I think it likely has a lot to do with why so many lawyers are unhappy. I think questioning whether law school is for you is a healthy and worthwhile exercise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

International law is not a thing. You need to google/LinkedIn more lawyers and read about heir practices.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:07 pm

dee16 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
dee16 wrote:
Do you think even with my relatively low gpa I could increase my lsat high enough for that?
A 165 would give you dramatically better options than a 154, and 170 would give you a fighting chance at a T13 with $$$ at top regional schools. You should absolutely retake because a 154 is just not going to cut it if you want to graduate with either 1) minimal debt and/or 2) a job that pays enough to service whatever debt you do have
What are your career goals?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Also, get a job if you don't have one. If you're just lounging around during your gap year, of course you're going to feel pressured into a bad decision/situation.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm

How long have you studied for the LSAT? Is 154 your second go at it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:How long have you studied for the LSAT? Is 154 your second go at it?
154 is my first go. I only studied for a few months, starting over the summer because I didn't feel that I could study while finishing up undergrad and working full time.

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:24 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
dee16 wrote:

International Law isn't really a thing. If you give it a lot of consideration and take the time to find out what it is that different types of attorneys do and determine you want to be one, then by all means retake the LSAT. A T2 can get you "somewhere" if that means working for a small firm or in local government, and you're willing to hustle.

On the other hand, do not go to law school because you don't have another plan/you've always just planned on going. A ton of people do this, and I think it likely has a lot to do with why so many lawyers are unhappy. I think questioning whether law school is for you is a healthy and worthwhile exercise.
I originally wanted to do family law, but my parents have been persuading me out of it. So I think that is more of where my passion would lie. Not to dismiss the fact that I am still quite interested in a career leaning more towards business.

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Rigo wrote:Also, get a job if you don't have one. If you're just lounging around during your gap year, of course you're going to feel pressured into a bad decision/situation.
I feel like most of the NY schools are going to wind up ridiculously expensive except for CUNY. And I've been working, but its just above minimum wage. Trying to pay down debt.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm

dee16 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:How long have you studied for the LSAT? Is 154 your second go at it?
154 is my first go. I only studied for a few months, starting over the summer because I didn't feel that I could study while finishing up undergrad and working full time.
yeah you should def. re-take, man. re-evaluate your study methods, figure out what went wrong the first time, use different prep materials to see what works best for you, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
dee16 wrote:
yeah you should def. re-take, man. re-evaluate your study methods, figure out what went wrong the first time, use different prep materials to see what works best for you, etc.
Just concerned if I don't do well enough in February then I'll have to take another year off.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:38 pm

dee16 wrote: Just concerned if I don't do well enough in February then I'll have to take another year off.
Nothing bad will happen for your legal career for taking another year off.

If your family doesn't like it, they need to understand that it's your decision, and you need to maximize the best possible outcomes in making that decision. If you explain that a higher LSAT and another year off is worth six-figures in scholarships and avoided student loan debt and perhaps in future income with better job opportunities, they'll probably stop nagging and start sending you LSAT prep materials.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dee16

New

Post by dee16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:44 pm

If I'm not able to dramatically increase my LSAT, any opinions on schools that would be good? Not restrictive to the nyc area

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Idk maybe Hofstra for a full ride with no class rank stipulations and live at home for family law?
I cringe a bit writing that but can’t think of anything that much better for current numbers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”