Seton Hall Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jc12345

New

Seton Hall Law

Post by jc12345 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:14 pm

I’m currently deciding what law schools I want to attend in the future. I wanted to know the reputuation of shu law school and see how it places in NYC/NJ. Is it worth it with a scholarship? I’m not sure if big law is the direction I want to head so that’s not the biggest factor. I’ve heard great things about the school and wanted to get an outside prospective.

Simply put, is it worth going to this school?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Re: Seton Hall Law

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 pm

What are your stats? I think it might be helpful to also think about whether your are maximizing your options with the stats you have.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Also curious - Their employment stats are fantastic, but half the graduates gain state clerkships.... Not sure if that skews the employment data for what it might really be.... Also the best law school in NJ

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:19 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Also curious - Their employment stats are fantastic, but half the graduates gain state clerkships.... Not sure if that skews the employment data for what it might really be.... Also the best law school in NJ
Whoa! According to LSN 54% do get state/local clerkships. That's pretty impressive imo.

Looks like a pretty underrated school with a big scholarship and if your goal is to work in NJ. BL prospects aren't great, but looks like grads have other options.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

devilblue

New

Post by devilblue » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:20 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Also curious - Their employment stats are fantastic, but half the graduates gain state clerkships.... Not sure if that skews the employment data for what it might really be.... Also the best law school in NJ
The "best law school in NJ" is Harvard, or Yale, or Columbia, or NYU, or Cornell, or Duke, or UVA, etc. etc. Being the best law school physically located in a state doesn't do too much because there are in fact no impediments to students from other schools traveling over state lines. An average NJ kid who goes to NYU is going to have an easier time getting a job in NJ than an average Seton Hall kid.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Whoa! According to LSN 54% do get state/local clerkships. That's pretty impressive imo.
It's moreso that just every low level judge has clerks in NJ, so it's a local idiosyncratic demand thing. If you look at Rutgers, I'm sure you'll see a high clerk rate too.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Rigo wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
It's moreso that just every low level judge has clerks in NJ, so it's a local idiosyncratic demand thing. If you look at Rutgers, I'm sure you'll see a high clerk rate too.
Makes sense!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:45 pm

Rigo wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
From what I saw - it's somewhat similar, but lower rate than Seton Hall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jc12345

New

Post by jc12345 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Rigo wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Would you say it’s not worth it going to the school then?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:49 pm

jc12345 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Would you say it’s not worth it going to the school then?
Not saying that at all.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:51 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Give us more info so we can help you in a more informed way.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I've been admitted to SHU - also admitted to six other schools, but SHU intrigues me due to location - additionally I'm waiting on other decisions, so SHU is not a definitive decision - I think the OP and I were curious about the reputation, the quality of education (legal writing, journals, students currently at the school, etc) the job outcomes associated with half of its graduates going into clerkships, and competition within NJ/NY compared to Fordham, NYU, Columbia, HYS, etc.... For me personally, $$$ is not a problem and a career goal, nebulous, to serve in the public sector...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:I've been admitted to SHU - also admitted to six other schools, but SHU intrigues me due to location - additionally I'm waiting on other decisions, so SHU is not a definitive decision - I think the OP and I were curious about the reputation, the quality of education (legal writing, journals, students currently at the school, etc) the job outcomes associated with half of its graduates going into clerkships, and competition within NJ/NY compared to Fordham, NYU, Columbia, HYS, etc.... For me personally, $$$ is not a problem and a career goal, nebulous, to serve in the public sector...
The problem is that you (and the OP) are asking for abstract information that doesn't exist. Any school's reputation, job outcomes, etc. can only be evaluated based on your specific career goals, cost of attendance, and other options. Seton Hall might be a phenomenal school for you (or the OP), but without any specific info, it's impossible to give a good answer to your questions.

Also, the "quality of education" is the same everywhere, so drop that criterion from your evaluation, regardless.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:12 pm

It's a second tier NY metro law school. Your most likely outcome is a one year NJ state court clerkship followed by shitlaw or doc review. Areyouinsane went there (look up his posting history for a negative review of the school).

If being a lawyer is really what you want to do and you're okay with a $45k salary, it's a viable option with little or no debt.

Ilovemydogxo

New

Post by Ilovemydogxo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:24 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Dear God, choosing b/t Brooklyn and Seton Hall? That's like deciding whether to drink cyanide or put a pistol in your mouth. Both schools are absurdly overpriced, have abysmal biglaw placement, and mostly just operate as diploma mills to siphon Stafford loan booty into the hands of their fatcat admins and profs.

Spend some time on this website to get an idea of what awaits you OP:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... idity.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”