Public Interest Goals in NYC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JBB5

New

Public Interest Goals in NYC

Post by JBB5 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi all -

I'm trying to decide among the following:

Fordham w/ $25K scholarship
NYC regional law schools full ride, or close to it (Cardozo, Brooklyn, SJU, Hofstra)
Northeastern full ride

I want to work in PI for NYC after graduation. The trouble is, I already have $100K debt from my undergrad institution, making Fordham a less desirable choice than it would otherwise be.

Does anyone have advice for the best school (aside from Fordham) in regards to PI placement? Is Fordham worth adding to my crazy debt?

cavalier1138

Re: Public Interest Goals in NYC

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 pm

What does PI in NYC look like for you? Are you talking about one of the PD offices? Or a local org?

JBB5

New

Post by JBB5 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Ideally prosecution

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm

You already have 100k in debt. Obviously, the decision is for you to make, but I personally would only go to a school for free (not near free, and definitely not Fordham at that price).

If you want to go to a school as good as Fordham, your best bet is to retake the LSAT until you have a score that will enable you to attend Fordham for free. I will add that I don't think SJU, Hofstra, and (especially) Northeastern will leave you will the job prospects you're looking for. You'll have a hard enough time as it is landing a prosecution job in New York City from Fordham, given the amount of competition that you'll have from your peers and students from other schools, many of which are considered "better" than Fordham.

Retake the LSAT
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 am

I'd probably do Cardozo here.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:09 am

I believe NYC prosecution is a good bit more selective than non-NYC state attorney offices so I’m not sure the “go to lower ranked school for free” advice is the best if you’re NYC or bust, but I’m not sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”