How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSNlife
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Postby LSNlife » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?

User avatar
notDINGBAT
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Postby notDINGBAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

LSNlife wrote:I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?


Within days of getting my offer I thanked the school for the acceptance and greatly appreciated the scholarship offer, but while I really liked the school, in light of some other offers I wasn't sure if it financially made sense, and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to help make the decision a little easier.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3090
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Postby UVA2B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

notDINGBAT wrote:
LSNlife wrote:I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?


Within days of getting my offer I thanked the school for the acceptance and greatly appreciated the scholarship offer, but while I really liked the school, in light of some other offers I wasn't sure if it financially made sense, and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to help make the decision a little easier.


This obviously assumes you have other offers for the original offer to compete against, which may or may not be the case for the OP.

OP, UVA doesn't do a ton of negotiating, especially this early on, but your question in the abstract is perfectly fine. If you have other chips to negotiate with, absolutely use them. But if all you have is an email thanking them for the scholarship, but due to the cost of law school, you'd need more aid to consider actually attending, it'll likely fall on deaf ears. They'll want a compelling reason to increase your aid beyond you not attending. For better or worse, they can recreate you with their admissions pretty easily for their purposes, so what you really want to convey to them is not that you won't attend for that price, but given another option at a different price point, you feel compelled to take that option instead of them.

User avatar
notDINGBAT
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Postby notDINGBAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm

UVA2B wrote:
notDINGBAT wrote:
LSNlife wrote:I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?


Within days of getting my offer I thanked the school for the acceptance and greatly appreciated the scholarship offer, but while I really liked the school, in light of some other offers I wasn't sure if it financially made sense, and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to help make the decision a little easier.


This obviously assumes you have other offers for the original offer to compete against, which may or may not be the case for the OP.

OP, UVA doesn't do a ton of negotiating, especially this early on, but your question in the abstract is perfectly fine. If you have other chips to negotiate with, absolutely use them. But if all you have is an email thanking them for the scholarship, but due to the cost of law school, you'd need more aid to consider actually attending, it'll likely fall on deaf ears. They'll want a compelling reason to increase your aid beyond you not attending. For better or worse, they can recreate you with their admissions pretty easily for their purposes, so what you really want to convey to them is not that you won't attend for that price, but given another option at a different price point, you feel compelled to take that option instead of them.

thanks for elaborating. Of course that required having other offers




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlendedUnicorn, Exabot [Bot], ledyardlives and 8 guests