How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSlyfe

Bronze

How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?

notDINGBAT

New

Re: How soon is too soon to negotiate a scholarship?

Post by notDINGBAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

TLS wrote:I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?
Within days of getting my offer I thanked the school for the acceptance and greatly appreciated the scholarship offer, but while I really liked the school, in light of some other offers I wasn't sure if it financially made sense, and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to help make the decision a little easier.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

notDINGBAT wrote:
TLS wrote:I was offered a scholarship at UVA in my admissions letter but I know that they also state on their website that scholarships are also given out around February. Is it too early to attempt to ask for more money now or is it worth waiting and seeing what other schools offer and/or if UVA will offer more during February?
Within days of getting my offer I thanked the school for the acceptance and greatly appreciated the scholarship offer, but while I really liked the school, in light of some other offers I wasn't sure if it financially made sense, and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to help make the decision a little easier.
This obviously assumes you have other offers for the original offer to compete against, which may or may not be the case for the OP.

OP, UVA doesn't do a ton of negotiating, especially this early on, but your question in the abstract is perfectly fine. If you have other chips to negotiate with, absolutely use them. But if all you have is an email thanking them for the scholarship, but due to the cost of law school, you'd need more aid to consider actually attending, it'll likely fall on deaf ears. They'll want a compelling reason to increase your aid beyond you not attending. For better or worse, they can recreate you with their admissions pretty easily for their purposes, so what you really want to convey to them is not that you won't attend for that price, but given another option at a different price point, you feel compelled to take that option instead of them.

notDINGBAT

New

Post by notDINGBAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm

UVA2B wrote:
notDINGBAT wrote:
This obviously assumes you have other offers for the original offer to compete against, which may or may not be the case for the OP.

OP, UVA doesn't do a ton of negotiating, especially this early on, but your question in the abstract is perfectly fine. If you have other chips to negotiate with, absolutely use them. But if all you have is an email thanking them for the scholarship, but due to the cost of law school, you'd need more aid to consider actually attending, it'll likely fall on deaf ears. They'll want a compelling reason to increase your aid beyond you not attending. For better or worse, they can recreate you with their admissions pretty easily for their purposes, so what you really want to convey to them is not that you won't attend for that price, but given another option at a different price point, you feel compelled to take that option instead of them.
thanks for elaborating. Of course that required having other offers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”