UVA vs UT vs others for Texas Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dallinpackard

UVA vs UT vs others for Texas Biglaw

Postby dallinpackard » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm

UVA cost of attendance: $120,000
UT estimated cost of attendance: $63,000
Duke COA is unknown, but likely similar to UVA.
throw in CCN at sticker

I have already received a Dean's scholarship at UVA ($120,000, cutting COA in half), and am assuming for the purposes of this post that I can use it to negotiate for a similar deal at Duke (admitted, financial aid pending) and a full tuition at UT (admittance pending, Texas resident), so this is still slightly hypothetical. For reference my stats are 3.6 172.

My goal is to work in Texas as a patent prosecutor, hopefully at biglaw. I have an EE degree, so I know I am already a decent looking applicant based off of my undergrad. I know that UT reigns in Texas, but I also know that I would need to be around the top third of my class in order to secure a biglaw position. Would the extra cost of UVA be worth it? Their clerkship rates are also highly appealing. I threw in CCN because I'll likely have the option of at least one of them at sticker, and Duke because it is similar to UVA in Texas placement and cost.

chargers21

Re: UVA vs UT vs others for Texas Biglaw

Postby chargers21 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 am

This probably depends on how you rank certain jobs. Is it texas BL > BL > Texas jobs, or tx BL > other TX jobs > other BL? Personally, I would go to UVA/Duke especially if you have strong Texas ties

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:25 am

How debt adverse are you? I would say your chances of TX big law are equivalent at UVA and UT. Personally, I would go to UVA because it's a great school and an amazing experience, but I am biased.

dallinpackard

Postby dallinpackard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:37 am

Thank you both for the replies! My goals are TX biglaw > TX other > biglaw non-Texas. That being said, I do have incredible Texas ties (wife and I are both Houstonians and our families are both there.) I am also okay with some debt, and was already considering UVA without the scolly. I'm leaning heavily on UVA now, and appreciate your input:) I'll probably ask something similar again once I have more solid alternatives.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

dallinpackard wrote:Thank you both for the replies! My goals are TX biglaw > TX other > biglaw non-Texas. That being said, I do have incredible Texas ties (wife and I are both Houstonians and our families are both there.) I am also okay with some debt, and was already considering UVA without the scolly. I'm leaning heavily on UVA now, and appreciate your input:) I'll probably ask something similar again once I have more solid alternatives.

UVA 100% for lots of reasons, not the least of which is UT gives Ds/Fs.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:Thank you both for the replies! My goals are TX biglaw > TX other > biglaw non-Texas. That being said, I do have incredible Texas ties (wife and I are both Houstonians and our families are both there.) I am also okay with some debt, and was already considering UVA without the scolly. I'm leaning heavily on UVA now, and appreciate your input:) I'll probably ask something similar again once I have more solid alternatives.

I would say Duke over UVA, given how strong Duke places in Texas. Its a close tossup either way, but from looking into this, Duke has better success in Texas.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Duke/UVA

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

I would say Duke over UVA, given how strong Duke places in Texas. Its a close tossup either way, but from looking into this, Duke has better success in Texas.

Good job, you actually made me double check this is idiotic. They place similarly in TX (UVA placed more this last class, but we’re talking 5-6%, so basically equal).

Try harder with your homerism.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pm

UVA2B wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

Good job, you actually made me double check this is idiotic. They place similarly in TX (UVA placed more this last class, but we’re talking 5-6%, so basically equal).

Gotta look at the percentage broski, given that UVA(TTTT) has almost double the size of Duke. Plus a Texas SC Justice is a Duke alum.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

Gotta look at the percentage broski, given that UVA(TTTT) has almost double the size of Duke. Plus a Texas SC Justice is a Duke alum.

I literally just pointed out the percentages of the latest classes. Not to mention that those percentages are both relative to the size of their classes. But reading is hard.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm

UVA2B wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

I literally just pointed out the percentages of the latest classes. Not to mention that those percentages are both relative to the size of their classes. But reading is hard.

Naw, just like triggering UVA kids

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Naw, just like triggering UVA kids

See, there's the big difference here. You've got antagonist petulant children who spit idiocy, and you have those of us who want to offer advice based on facts and reality. If Duke is cheaper=Duke. If UVA is cheaper=UVA. If they're equal, pick whichever school feels like the better fit. They have similar placement power.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Come back when you have offers. Lower/equal ranked schools don't always agree about what scholarships they "should" offer, either because they've run out of money or they have different gaps in their class to fill.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Nagster5 wrote:

I don't know what it takes to get an F. Only one F was given out to anyone, in any section, my entire 1L year. You would have to like.....not show up the entire semester and not show up for the final either. Same thing for a D. I don't think anyone got a D, in anything, all year. So not sure where your information is coming from. UVA's grading policy also says it gives out Ds and Fs, as well.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Turned down UVA for UT and had similar priorities (TX big law > any Texas job > job elsewhere). Happy with my choice a year into practicing. Got the job I wanted. Feel free to PM me.

Roy McAvoy

Postby Roy McAvoy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm

A lot of big law firms are moving away from patent pros, so unless you’re also interested in litigation I wouldn’t throw all your eggs in the big law basket. There are firms that will still pay some big money for patent pros (especially EE), but they’re mostly boutiques and some won’t pay market.

With that said though, you should be able to get to any of those firms from UT, UVA, Duke, or CCN. You’ll be in good shape. PM me if you have any other questions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”