Harvard Law Expands Junior Deferral Program Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ChemDawg

New

Harvard Law Expands Junior Deferral Program

Post by ChemDawg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Before this year, HLS only accepted Harvard juniors into their program. Starting in 2017, Harvard opens JDP to any U.S. college student !!

Idk how many undergraduate students frequent this chatroom, but I thought this was interesting to say the least.

https://today.law.harvard.edu/harvard-l ... und-world/

cavalier1138

Re: Harvard Law Expands Junior Deferral Program

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm

This makes me even more suspicious that their strategy for turning YSH into HYS is to artificially inflate the number of applications they receive in any given year and therefore look that much more selective.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Platopus wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:This makes me even more suspicious that their strategy for turning YSH into HYS is to artificially inflate the number of applications they receive in any given year and therefore look that much more selective.
It may not have anything to do with selectivity. Harvard is just trying to poach the applicant pool by getting otherwise qualified Y & S students to commit to Harvard as a junior. It's lke an ED that only benefits the school.
It's especially nice to have this backdoor because, like Harvard College, they probably take pride in not "needing" ED to keep yield up.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:56 am

This is so tempting, someone talk me out of this. I'm a junior with an LSAT and high GPA, and all these threads about: the GRE, K-JD's have lower chances, and rising numbers of LS applicants are making me worried about how different the application cycle will be for me next cycle. I would much prefer a lower T14 with $$ than HYS (I think...), but if I wouldn't even get that next semester, maybe this is a good idea.

Gahhh. Who knew taking the LSAT early would be such a major stress factor. Now I just have to sit on my hands and worry.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 am

Amerision wrote:This is so tempting, someone talk me out of this. I'm a junior with an LSAT and high GPA, and all these threads about: the GRE, K-JD's have lower chances, and rising numbers of LS applicants are making me worried about how different the application cycle will be for me next cycle. I would much prefer a lower T14 with $$ than HYS (I think...), but if I wouldn't even get that next semester, maybe this is a good idea.

Gahhh. Who knew taking the LSAT early would be such a major stress factor. Now I just have to sit on my hands and worry.
What are your numbers? If you're in a position to get admitted to Harvard, then your numbers will get you lower-T13 (or CCN) with money. It's pointless to throw all your eggs in Harvard's $300,000 basket just because they'll definitely admit you three years from now if you qualify through this program.

It's also largely pointless trying to predict what effect the potential applicant "market" will have on your chances.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Amerision wrote:This is so tempting, someone talk me out of this. I'm a junior with an LSAT and high GPA, and all these threads about: the GRE, K-JD's have lower chances, and rising numbers of LS applicants are making me worried about how different the application cycle will be for me next cycle. I would much prefer a lower T14 with $$ than HYS (I think...), but if I wouldn't even get that next semester, maybe this is a good idea.

What are your numbers? If you're in a position to get admitted to Harvard, then your numbers will get you lower-T13 (or CCN) with money. It's pointless to throw all your eggs in Harvard's $300,000 basket just because they'll definitely admit you three years from now if you qualify through this program.

It's also largely pointless trying to predict what effect the potential applicant "market" will have on your chances.
172/4.0. Yeah, logically, I won't be applying. I don't think H is worth it for me unless I get a major need package. Emotionally, I just want to get this over with.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

Please keep us updated if you decide to apply to JDP. I can see why this option is attractive to candidates that have high stats, are sure about a law career, have researched Harvard LS and think that it is a good fit and have the motivation to get everything ready for submission early. The advantage is that you have two years to work after graduation and save up money. The disadvantage is that it takes you out of scholarships from other LS's and also does not give you more time to compare schools and merit offers. And with your high stats you are sure to get some offers. Let us know what you decide.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I would just wait until next year and apply to the entire T13. You have a 172/4.0. That's going to get you fantastic scholarships from CCN through the lower T13. The application quality is not going to change dramatically enough from one cycle to the next for your amazing stats to bar you from big money. As we saw when the cycles got weaker, it's a gradual thing. They dropped off in quality year after year for several years. If they are going to ramp up again, it'll be over 4-5 years. I was in the same situation as you (preferred $$ over higher ranking), and I'm a very happy 1L at a lower T13 with a nice scholarship now. Originally, I was worried my application wasn't strong enough and considered binding to Duke/UVA. I decided I wanted to see my options and passed on ED. I got into UVA, Duke, and several other T13 schools with money and got a waitlist here or there. I got no flat out rejections. Considering your application is stronger than mine on the LSAT front, you're going to get the same treatment. Pass on any ED programs and look at your options. You'll have a lot of them.

Amerision

Bronze

Removed

Post by Amerision » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Removed post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”