Rutgers or Seton Hall?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello TLSers,

With both Rutgers and SHU being in-state tuition, which do you think is a better option for someone interested in primarily NJ/possibly NYC market?

I'm interested in pursuing a state/local clerkship after graduation, and then working in a law firm afterwards. I have interned with a fed. judge and definitely want to clerk locally after graduation. I've also worked in a small firm, and can see myself practicing in employment, discrimination, or family law afterwards.

Will Rutgers and SHU produce the same outcomes? Any advice is appreciated!

User avatar
jingosaur

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Are you financing with loans? NJ law school grads often go a long time in low paying gigs/doc review.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm

LSAT/GPA? Total COA at each school? How are you financing your costs?

dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Half loans and my parents are paying for other half. I will also be commuting.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 am

dedward wrote:Half loans and my parents are paying for other half. I will also be commuting.


Ok, so what's your actual COA? People are looking for a firm number of some kind, because too much debt from these schools could be crippling.

dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

Around 37k of debt. I really want to practice in north NJ though, possibly NYC.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am

dedward wrote:Around 37k of debt. I really want to practice in north NJ though, possibly NYC.


Then it sounds like you'll be better off at Seton Hall. They have better employment stats in general. Just don't count on being able to work in NYC, and definitely don't count on a job at a larger firm or a federal clerkship.

rwhyAn

Bronze
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby rwhyAn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:53 pm

One thing to consider with Rutgers is that you can bid on both OCIs and you may take classes on both campuses. It's not always feasible, but I know several students who have taken classes on both campuses. The outcomes are going to be pretty much the same for RU and SH. Since the price is the same, choose whichever one you like more.

dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah I think I'm going with Seton Hall due to better employment numbers, higher rankings, and its smaller class size.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby KPUSN07 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am

dedward wrote:Yeah I think I'm going with Seton Hall due to better employment numbers, higher rankings, and its smaller class size.


Curious how you have liked SHU so far?

dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Honestly I love it so far. The school works extremely hard to make sure 1L have secured 1L summer employment. I managed to get a SA position this summer so I’m pretty excited about that. Overall, it’s a small tight knit community, the students are friendly, professors are top notch, and the career service center has been great. Newark is the obvious and largest downside to the school.

donewithannarbor

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby donewithannarbor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Yeah, across the street from Penn Station on the NE Corridor, 20 mins from lower Manhattan, surrounded by NJ's biggest law firms, and all of the NJ and federal courts, is just horrible.

Seton and Rutgers Law both have underrated locations. FWIW Rutgers' location is near tons of recently- and under-construction developments, so it's actually getting somewhat nice, hard to believe. Seton's is by a big highway and a little less cozy, I get it, but it's still super convenient.

You should be a better spokesperson for this side of the Hudson. Glad your choice has worked out thus far.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby KPUSN07 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 pm

dedward wrote:Honestly I love it so far. The school works extremely hard to make sure 1L have secured 1L summer employment. I managed to get a SA position this summer so I’m pretty excited about that. Overall, it’s a small tight knit community, the students are friendly, professors are top notch, and the career service center has been great. Newark is the obvious and largest downside to the school.


Is there a reason for the high rate of State Clerkships - like 90 graduates last year.....? Did anyone go up for Federal Clerkships?

User avatar
superbloom

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby superbloom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
dedward wrote:Honestly I love it so far. The school works extremely hard to make sure 1L have secured 1L summer employment. I managed to get a SA position this summer so I’m pretty excited about that. Overall, it’s a small tight knit community, the students are friendly, professors are top notch, and the career service center has been great. Newark is the obvious and largest downside to the school.


Is there a reason for the high rate of State Clerkships - like 90 graduates last year.....? Did anyone go up for Federal Clerkships?


In NJ, the common route to practice is to take a year long clerkship first. Every superior court (not municipal/traffic court) judge has at least one clerk for a year long term. I've never met a former clerk that could not secure halfway decent employment post-clerkship, FYI.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby KPUSN07 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 pm

superbloom wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
dedward wrote:Honestly I love it so far. The school works extremely hard to make sure 1L have secured 1L summer employment. I managed to get a SA position this summer so I’m pretty excited about that. Overall, it’s a small tight knit community, the students are friendly, professors are top notch, and the career service center has been great. Newark is the obvious and largest downside to the school.


Is there a reason for the high rate of State Clerkships - like 90 graduates last year.....? Did anyone go up for Federal Clerkships?


In NJ, the common route to practice is to take a year long clerkship first. Every superior court (not municipal/traffic court) judge has at least one clerk for a year long term. I've never met a former clerk that could not secure halfway decent employment post-clerkship, FYI.


Interesting - I guess my only other question is why not the higher percentage / number of federal clerkships? Are SHU grads not as competitive? Where / what do post NJ state clerkships practice / go? Big Law a better possibility in NJ or NYC?

dedward

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby dedward » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm

No.. didnt mean that the wrong way. Newark is definitely an awesome location with tons of career opportunities. By largest downside I meant that it has some sketchy areas, and obviously just don’t go exploring and you will be fine. As for state and local clerkships, the above posters are correct. It’s pretty much a norm in NJ to clerk, and from what I can tell, a large percentage of grads end up working in the large NJ firm’s after clerkships like Lowenstein, McElroy Deutsch and Mullvaney, Mccarter, Gibbons, Epstein, etc... It just
seems that the top of the class (~ top 15%) get to cruise into them right after graduation. So in reality SHU has ~30% of grads (or more) in large NJ firms 1-2 years after graduation.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby KPUSN07 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 am

I've been accepted to SHU - but the fact that many, many graduates go to state clerkships made me pause... Why no federal clerkships - is SHU not competitive? I appreciate the background information on most NJ law graduates clerk - I was not aware of that type of legal culture within the state. I am not opposed to that path either and it seems like a good way to start understanding the legal profession.

Quichelorraine

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Postby Quichelorraine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:I've been accepted to SHU - but the fact that many, many graduates go to state clerkships made me pause... Why no federal clerkships - is SHU not competitive? I appreciate the background information on most NJ law graduates clerk - I was not aware of that type of legal culture within the state. I am not opposed to that path either and it seems like a good way to start understanding the legal profession.


It's not "no federal clerkships." Certainly a few get them (there were several SHU students in the Newark federal courthouse). But it isn't many recently, I guess.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: yhchoi1687 and 22 guests