Temple vs GMU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
judeman266@gmail.com
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am

Temple vs GMU

Postby judeman266@gmail.com » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

I have been accepted by Temple and have a full tuition scholarship ($38,000/yr).
GMU is reviewing my app after being on the waitlist

COA: $57,166 GMU, $58000 Temple

I'm using loans and another scholarship ($1000) to pay for books, living expenses (about $23,000/yr so $69,000 overall).
I am from Philadelphia, I will work for civil liberties NGOs and eventually DOJ Counter Terrorism
163/3.19 GPA
3 Times LSAT

If GMU gives me anything close to the Temple scholarship, which is the better option?

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Temple vs GMU

Postby Mullens » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 am

judeman266@gmail.com wrote:I have been accepted by Temple and have a full tuition scholarship ($38,000/yr).
GMU is reviewing my app after being on the waitlist

COA: $57,166 GMU, $58000 Temple

I'm using loans and another scholarship ($1000) to pay for books, living expenses (about $23,000/yr so $69,000 overall).
I am from Philadelphia, I will work for civil liberties NGOs and eventually DOJ Counter Terrorism
163/3.19 GPA
3 Times LSAT

If GMU gives me anything close to the Temple scholarship, which is the better option?


How certain are you that you can get a job at a civil liberties NGO? Do you have one in mind? What do the qualifications of the attorneys that work there look like?

judeman266@gmail.com
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am

Re: Temple vs GMU

Postby judeman266@gmail.com » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Mullens wrote:How certain are you that you can get a job at a civil liberties NGO? Do you have one in mind? What do the qualifications of the attorneys that work there look like?

ACRU or FIRE. I'll start off in a firm and volunteer on the side.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Temple vs GMU

Postby Mullens » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm

judeman266@gmail.com wrote:
Mullens wrote:How certain are you that you can get a job at a civil liberties NGO? Do you have one in mind? What do the qualifications of the attorneys that work there look like?

ACRU or FIRE. I'll start off in a firm and volunteer on the side.


Do you know the difference between the ACRU and the ACLU?

You also didn't acknowledge the last question. My concern is that a lot of people want to do impact litigation at "civil liberties NGOs" and therefore those jobs are very hard to get. Possibly impossible to get at schools like GMU or Temple.

judeman266@gmail.com
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am

Re: Temple vs GMU

Postby judeman266@gmail.com » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Yes, there is a clear difference. I don't want to be a staff attorney I want to volunteer and maybe do that later.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4012
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Temple vs GMU

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

judeman266@gmail.com wrote:Yes, there is a clear difference. I don't want to be a staff attorney I want to volunteer and maybe do that later.


...so you want to go to law school, why, exactly?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests