NYU VS UCHI VS UPENN for NYC BIGLAW Placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TTTlife

NYU VS UCHI VS UPENN for NYC BIGLAW Placement

Postby TTTlife » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:10 am

which one gives u more edge when it comes to NYC BIGLAW placement?

the rza

Re: NYU VS UCHI VS UPENN for NYC BIGLAW Placement

Postby the rza » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 pm

NYC? NYU.

zeezoo

Postby zeezoo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Chicago, but if you are not from the northeast it might be worth going to NYU to network and get used to the area before you start your career...

nellie06

Postby nellie06 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 pm

This is a pointless question. It's like arguing which is better, bmw, mercerdes or audi. It just depends on what you choose to highlight as the best and worst features of each one.

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:03 am

Come on, man. Pick the school you like best, do half-decently, and you're a lock for NYC BigLaw.

If you were asking about clerkships, public interest, or academia.....then there would be a question.

annon

Postby annon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:01 pm

The difference in NYC biglaw placement between NYU and Chicago is so minor in the grand scheme (and maybe Penn too, but I just don't know) that I really don't think it should be a major factor in a law school decision, especially given the many, many other differences between the schools. Visit both, see which one fits you better, and then go there.

rubberbandman

Postby rubberbandman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:31 pm

do any of the following schools have a significant DISadvantage relative to Columbia/NYU when it comes to NYC BigLaw placement?

Michigan, Boalt, UVA, Chicago, UPenn

nellie06

Postby nellie06 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Lol you people need to seriously stop posing such ridiculous questions. I mean if you were comparing, say bc vs. Texas for biglaw, there's and actual argument that could be made in terms of picking one over the other (location, prestige, etc)

When your talkin about top 14 schools, save for maybe gtown which has a class too big for its own good and people do miss the big law boat, placement in biglaw is virtually a cinch for people at or near median. Basically the higher the school is ranked in the t-14 the lower the gpa you can have and still hit biglaw. If you except to be at least a b student, it doesn't matter.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:51 pm

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Hawaii here I come!

liamar

Postby liamar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I feel like the OP has a valid question if he's referring to the quality/prestige of NYC placement, as opposed to whether you'll just get a NYC biglaw job. NYC actually is the easiest major market to crack in the country.

In terms of quality, I'd say that UChicago and NYU are probably as well regarded reputation-wise among employers. NYU might have the upside of having a larger alumni-network, which doesn't help with getting jobs, but perhaps helps on the job. But I think Chicago might have better placement, because while the schools might be regarded as equivalent, supply and demand really favors Chicago. At NYU you are competing against 400 classmates gunning for NYC biglaw. At Chicago, more like 50-70. Firms like having diversity of schools represented, so I think there are more available NYC spots per student at UC than NYU.

Penn places well in NYC, just not as well as UC and NYU

hls3

Postby hls3 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:03 pm

Just something to consider before basing your total decision on ability to get in to a Big Law firm (and yes, I know that I've posted this in other places already...just trying to be helpful):

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 4212420569

Return to “Choosing a Law School”