My Offer Acceptance Criteria

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:53 pm

conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, you might want to prioritize therapy over law school. And I'd say that to a current law student who said their identity was wrapped up in school. That's not at all healthy.


I don't think having your identity wrapped up in a certain intellectual or even vocational pursuit is necessarily unhealthy. I tend to identify heavily with lawyers' interests and personalities. I turned down great employment to pursue law school on these reasons alone, just to be honest, even if doing so adds fuel to the fire.

Let us assume I was psychologically unhealthy. Why would this preclude going to law school? Absolute health is not a prerequisite to hardly any job, including being a lawyer. Tell me someone eating shitty food all day should not go to law school on that fact alone.


Right, so I'm just going to recommend therapy again, because that's literally all I can do. What you're doing to yourself is going to catch up with you eventually, even if you actually luck into the career you want.

carsondalywashere
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby carsondalywashere » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 pm

conker wrote:damn, shit's getting juicy

actually, the thought of everyone digging into their psyche's on this forum is frightening. this is probably one of the last forums I'd want to watch that happen in, after JD underground

Instead of mouthing off, you should study for the lsat

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 pm

conker wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
conker wrote:You just have to take my word that my identity and interests are tied up with going to law school more than making sound financial decisions.

Well this is a little disturbing.


Of course it is. It disturbs me, too. Why don't you spill something disturbing about yourself and even the playing field LOL or we could just be dishonest with each other and act like life is perfect.

It doesn't seem to disturb you at all, actually.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm

conker wrote:Let us assume I was psychologically unhealthy. Why would this preclude going to law school? Absolute health is not a prerequisite to hardly any job, including being a lawyer. Tell me someone eating shitty food all day should not go to law school on that fact alone.

It wouldn't preclude going to law school at all. You'd have lots of company. It just might lead to problems down the road when you have to deal with the reality that you are not your job.

User avatar
Yugihoe
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby Yugihoe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
conker wrote:Let us assume I was psychologically unhealthy. Why would this preclude going to law school? Absolute health is not a prerequisite to hardly any job, including being a lawyer. Tell me someone eating shitty food all day should not go to law school on that fact alone.

It wouldn't preclude going to law school at all. You'd have lots of company. It just might lead to problems down the road when you have to deal with the reality that you are not your job.


Super dangerous. I know people who have had breakdowns when their sense of self worth was tied to things like law school grades.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 am

In to see OP score a 150 making this all irrelevant.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 am

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 am

conker wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:In to see OP score a 150 making this all irrelevant.


Do you think I'd have the courage to admit this under the same moniker, or would I be too shameful? IDK. Some on forum are neither helpful nor friendly, and it seems like some unhappy people might come here mostly to vent. I probably shouldn't let those types of people matter, but, of course, they do. I realize some people on here fit the stigma of lawyers being unprofessional and miserable, etc. It's unfortunate. My medical school friends don't seem to be able to relate when I show them some posts on here, and I feel like the legal profession is kind of an embarrassment by comparison. They still love me, though.


Tell us more. Please. And talk to your doctor friends about how healthy it is to wrap your identity up in attending law school. They've all done psych rotations, right?

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:49 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:16 pm

conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
conker wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:In to see OP score a 150 making this all irrelevant.


Do you think I'd have the courage to admit this under the same moniker, or would I be too shameful? IDK. Some on forum are neither helpful nor friendly, and it seems like some unhappy people might come here mostly to vent. I probably shouldn't let those types of people matter, but, of course, they do. I realize some people on here fit the stigma of lawyers being unprofessional and miserable, etc. It's unfortunate. My medical school friends don't seem to be able to relate when I show them some posts on here, and I feel like the legal profession is kind of an embarrassment by comparison. They still love me, though.


Tell us more. Please. And talk to your doctor friends about how healthy it is to wrap your identity up in attending law school. They've all done psych rotations, right?


They would be more helpful than you, considering they are friends and we would have a discussion. You give unsolicited advice based on a single post from someone you've never met in a field of pseudo-science whose professionals can't even be consistent in their advice after lengthy consultation. You, please, tell me more.

I kind of think by posting here you solicited advice?

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:36 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby grades?? » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm

conker wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
conker wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:In to see OP score a 150 making this all irrelevant.


Do you think I'd have the courage to admit this under the same moniker, or would I be too shameful? IDK. Some on forum are neither helpful nor friendly, and it seems like some unhappy people might come here mostly to vent. I probably shouldn't let those types of people matter, but, of course, they do. I realize some people on here fit the stigma of lawyers being unprofessional and miserable, etc. It's unfortunate. My medical school friends don't seem to be able to relate when I show them some posts on here, and I feel like the legal profession is kind of an embarrassment by comparison. They still love me, though.


Tell us more. Please. And talk to your doctor friends about how healthy it is to wrap your identity up in attending law school. They've all done psych rotations, right?


They would be more helpful than you, considering they are friends and we would have a discussion. You give unsolicited advice based on a single post from someone you've never met in a field of pseudo-science whose professionals can't even be consistent in their advice after lengthy consultation. You, please, tell me more.

I kind of think by posting here you solicited advice?


nonymouse, you're one of the smarter ones. I'm sure you just being difficult now. I was hoping you'd play devil's advocate with this asshole, not me. Think about the scope of my initial post in case I'm mistaken and you're not just being difficult.


I hope you get banned for being dense.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:24 pm

I get the impression that you think a recommendation to go to therapy is an insult of some kind. Grow up.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby stego » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 pm

conker wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
conker wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:In to see OP score a 150 making this all irrelevant.


Do you think I'd have the courage to admit this under the same moniker, or would I be too shameful? IDK. Some on forum are neither helpful nor friendly, and it seems like some unhappy people might come here mostly to vent. I probably shouldn't let those types of people matter, but, of course, they do. I realize some people on here fit the stigma of lawyers being unprofessional and miserable, etc. It's unfortunate. My medical school friends don't seem to be able to relate when I show them some posts on here, and I feel like the legal profession is kind of an embarrassment by comparison. They still love me, though.


Tell us more. Please. And talk to your doctor friends about how healthy it is to wrap your identity up in attending law school. They've all done psych rotations, right?


They would be more helpful than you, considering they are friends and we would have a discussion. You give unsolicited advice based on a single post from someone you've never met in a field of pseudo-science whose professionals can't even be consistent in their advice after lengthy consultation. You, please, tell me more.

I kind of think by posting here you solicited advice?


nonymouse, you're one of the smarter ones. I'm sure you just being difficult now. I was hoping you'd play devil's advocate with this asshole, not me. Think about the scope of my initial post in case I'm mistaken and you're not just being difficult.

This would imply cavalier was the devil in this interaction

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby zhenders » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Jeez, of all the posts for people to crap on, tls picks this one?

Your criteria aren't crazy, but I'd tweak them a bit probably. Obviously follow through with your actual LSAT and go from there--but if your goal is general ny biglaw then follow the money within the t14; if you have a region-specific goal, then the calculus changes quite a bit.

For example, one thing that is almost never talked about more than in the abstract is COL of employment markets, and how that might factor into one's decision making. If one is dead set on Chicago, then UC and NU top everything but HYS--and I would be much more inclined to recommend HYS sticker or UC sticker if dead set on Chicago, given that one's debt-to-COL ratio in Chicago is so much more manageable than NY or LA.

Ask your question again once you have your actual LSAT--but if you test in the range you're PTing at, then apply early, pit offers against offers, and follow the money.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 pm

stego wrote:This would imply cavalier was the devil in this interaction


Wellll...

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:17 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby conker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm

conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I get the impression that you think a recommendation to go to therapy is an insult of some kind. Grow up.


Actually, man, the world of the psychiatric is scary as fuck for some people who have been involved. There are real mad scientists out there who fuck up people's lives who are struggling to understand what is going on. I have had a close call with a very bad version of this kind of experience. And I know friends (two) who have gone to therapy and gotten frightened and beat up psychologically and told to take anti-psychotics.

Mental stability is taken for granted until you're told you're crazy and then you start doubting yourself. It's not the kind of topic you want to find yourself being nonchalant and insensitive with, friend. Might as well go around with the same sort of tact asking rape victims if they're telling the truth or not.


Quoting this for posterity (must be something in the air today).

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:02 pm

conker wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I get the impression that you think a recommendation to go to therapy is an insult of some kind. Grow up.


Actually, man, the world of the psychiatric is scary as fuck for some people who have been involved. There are real mad scientists out there who fuck up people's lives who are struggling to understand what is going on. I have had a close call with a very bad version of this kind of experience. And I know friends (two) who have gone to therapy and gotten frightened and beat up psychologically and told to take anti-psychotics.

Mental stability is taken for granted until you're told you're crazy and then you start doubting yourself. It's not the kind of topic you want to find yourself being nonchalant and insensitive with, friend. Might as well go around with the same sort of tact asking rape victims if they're telling the truth or not.

What? People are concerned about the degree to whichyour self-worth is tied up in law school. Some self-reflection could be helpful. No one is suggesting committing you.

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:21 pm

zhenders wrote:Jeez, of all the posts for people to crap on, tls picks this one?

Your criteria aren't crazy, but I'd tweak them a bit probably. Obviously follow through with your actual LSAT and go from there--but if your goal is general ny biglaw then follow the money within the t14; if you have a region-specific goal, then the calculus changes quite a bit.

For example, one thing that is almost never talked about more than in the abstract is COL of employment markets, and how that might factor into one's decision making. If one is dead set on Chicago, then UC and NU top everything but HYS--and I would be much more inclined to recommend HYS sticker or UC sticker if dead set on Chicago, given that one's debt-to-COL ratio in Chicago is so much more manageable than NY or LA.

Ask your question again once you have your actual LSAT--but if you test in the range you're PTing at, then apply early, pit offers against offers, and follow the money.


The bolded is really important here, you're going to have to go to a school that places a ton of grads in your preferred market because based on indicators of your personality in this thread, networking is unlikely to be very successful

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: My Offer Acceptance Criteria

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:18 pm

conker wrote:Actually, the idiom does not work in such a way as to attribute the role of the figurative devil to the person being defended. That is a common misconception. In all honesty, idioms and prepositions are a pain in the ass.

You must be fun at parties.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest