Cornell vs Northwestern vs Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hellohello123

Cornell vs Northwestern vs Duke

Postby hellohello123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks in advance for all your help! Please don't quote. :D

I am currently deposited at Cornell, but recently got off the waitlists at Northwestern and Duke. I just wanted to make sure I'm making the right choice.

Cornell: $105,000 total (COA: $155,000)
Northwestern: $75,000 total (COA: $185,000)
Duke: $45,000 total (COA: $216,000)

The Northwestern amount is after reconsideration. I asked Duke to reconsider twice, and they said no both times.

I'm interested in going into big law for a few years, but don't really have ties to any area. I'd love to work abroad as well sometime in the future.
I want to do IP Law (I only have a math degree though, so I'd have to look into taking the FE exam then the patent bar) or International Law, though I'm open to other options as well.

Is Duke completely out of the picture? I'm really sad to let it go because it's been among my top choices since the very beginning, but they were firm that they couldn't increase my offer at all.
Also, besides the fact that Northwestern mainly feeds into Chicago and Cornell into NYC, are there any differences between the two schools that I should consider? I imagine the quality of education would be similar - does it all come down to where I want to work after I graduate?

Not sure if this would help, but I'm a reverse splitter and taking the LSAT next Monday hoping to get off some more waitlists/get more money/reapply next cycle.

I'm thinking Cornell would be the best choice here, but ugh I love Northwestern too. What to do!?

usn26

Re: Cornell vs Northwestern vs Duke

Postby usn26 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 pm

hellohello123 wrote:Not sure if this would help, but I'm a reverse splitter and taking the LSAT next Monday hoping to get off some more waitlists/get more money/reapply next cycle.

Everyone is going to (correctly) tell you to reapply with a stronger LSAT.

Cornell is the only one of these choices in the neighborhood of reasonable for someone interested in BL.

conker

Re: Cornell vs Northwestern vs Duke

Postby conker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm

I am concerned. What have you been led to believe taking the FE exam will provide you?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”