Vanderbilt as a Northerner?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sickofwaiting77

Vanderbilt as a Northerner?

Postby sickofwaiting77 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Vanderbilt is definitely the school I should be accepting but I am having reservations having lived in the northeast my whole life. I don't particularly enjoy country music and it seems like that could be an issue with that scene. Anybody have insight as to what that might be like?

cavalier1138

Re: Vanderbilt as a Northerner?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 pm

FFS, just go to GW. That way, you can be one of those people who keeps telling their family "I coulda been something" when you get too drunk at Thanksgiving.

guynourmin

Postby guynourmin » Fri May 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Are you one of those people who says "swipe left if your bio mentions country music"? Nashville's not a scene its a decent-sized city. I mean, if hearing country music in the background at a bar is the type of thing that would cause you to punch the nearest person at the bar and leave without paying your tab, then, yeah, maybe Nashville wouldn't be a great fit for you, but it's not like every other bar review is going to be at a country-exclusive karaoke bar.

also

cavalier1138 wrote:FFS, just go to GW. That way, you can be one of those people who keeps telling their family "I coulda been something" when you get too drunk at Thanksgiving.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm from the northeast. I don't like country music. Nashville is a pretty cool, cosmopolitan city.

joefresh

Postby joefresh » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Git outta our town YANKEE!

TTTTescapee

Postby TTTTescapee » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

As a northern transplant in the south, just got to GW. I'm sick and tired of northerners coming down here and trashing the south when they have no clue what they're talking about.

sickofwaiting77

Postby sickofwaiting77 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm from the northeast. I don't like country music. Nashville is a pretty cool, cosmopolitan city.

thank you for having the only reasonable and helpful response

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:53 pm

sickofwaiting77 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm from the northeast. I don't like country music. Nashville is a pretty cool, cosmopolitan city.

thank you for having the only reasonable and helpful response

Frankly, the responses on here have been very level-headed considering how mind-numbingly stupid your "reasons" for not wanting to go to Vanderbilt are.

celticsfan

Postby celticsfan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:00 pm

I don't want to go to the clearly better option for my career because I don't like the predominant music of the region.... really?

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Roll tide roll you damn yankee!!!

Carpetbagger scum!! Tryna come down to Dixie and feast on our superior edumacation.

sickofwaiting77

Postby sickofwaiting77 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

celticsfan wrote:I don't want to go to the clearly better option for my career because I don't like the predominant music of the region.... really?

Are those of you shitting on this post seriously saying that cultural differences should have zero impact. Maybe my example of country music set some of you off but you can't be denying that there are actual differences between the north and the south and those differences may provide another source of stress during law school which is already stressful. Shit people take it easy.

joefresh

Postby joefresh » Fri May 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Cultural differences should play like 1-2% of the equation. Your question shows a clear lack of maturity; cities are far more complex and diverse than yo're making them out to be. I am very confident you will be able to find a social circle as a northerner at Vandy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 3:51 pm

It's perfectly fine to consider cultural differences but prevalence of country music isn't really a valid marker of cultural differences. Also you might like the cultural differences.

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Except the only concern you provided was your distaste of country music.

NashVegas and Vandy are pretty affluent and diverse and I don't think you will find yourself in an uncomfortable situation simply because you are a Yankee. You won't be the only northerner in the city or at the school.

It's not like you're going to Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge you weenie.

Justtrying2help

Postby Justtrying2help » Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Go to GW or retake for T-14. Although Vandy's hiring numbers are easily superior to GW's, if it pains you this much to even consider Vandy then it is not for you. However, you say you are from the Northeast, which make GW fairly risky. Not many GW grads find solid JD employment in the Northeast. Unless you kill it grade-wise (which you can't guarantee) you may have to chase ambulances and eat what you kill to get back to the Northeast. GW doesn't even place that well in DC unless you kill it because many t-14 grads desire DC and they will likely get chosen over most GW students without major connections (if your mom or dad is a partner at a major D.C. firm then disregard).Vandy does a much better job of placing people into the Northeast, but it appears you do not like the idea of 3 years of southern living. You may be better off just retaking.

Personally I've visited Nashville dozens of times and it's a wonderful city with comfortable weather, good food, and beautiful women in sundresses. Unless you prefer snow or wearing coats, I can't see how someone would absolutely hate Nashville.

TLDR: Retake

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Vanderbilt > GW

pizzagoblin

Postby pizzagoblin » Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Reposting what I wrote on the Vandy Class of 2020 page. Disclaimer: I'm attending Vandy with a full-ride plus living stipend.

As a current NYC resident, I was really thrown off by the bar review on Broadway during the first ASW. I LOVED the school and the people but wasn't sold on Nashville, just like you. Later that weekend I actually started to explore non-touristy destinations and found that, while different from the Northeast, Nashville offers a ton of cool perks. Although Nashville doesn't fit into my definition of "city" as I now know it, I like being close to major sporting events, concerts, hiking, bike paths, a strong food culture and golf courses. Plus it doesn't seem like most people go to that tourist destination to hang out, anyway.

tldr; Nashville offers many of the same perks that NYC does, plus some different ones. It seems like a fun place to live, at least for three years.

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon May 29, 2017 12:02 am

I'm a super liberal New Yorker and I think Nashville might be the most desirable place to live in the whole country. It's fucking awesome. Go and don't look back.

Npret

Postby Npret » Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 am

What are your options? Did you visit the school?
Where do you want to work? Aren't you concerned about their placement outside of the south?

I wouldn't live in the south but that's because I've lived in NYC all my life, all my family, friends and professional connections are here, and I have no interest in going anywhere else.

I understand your reservations but maybe it could be fine for school.

If it's your best option make it work for you.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Mon May 29, 2017 2:10 am

Ronan wrote:Except the only concern you provided was your distaste of country music.

NashVegas and Vandy are pretty affluent and diverse and I don't think you will find yourself in an uncomfortable situation simply because you are a Yankee. You won't be the only northerner in the city or at the school.

It's not like you're going to Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge you weenie.

Nashville is rad and vanderbilt is a really good school. I don't see your issue OP

eta: I don't like country. Currently in nashville. People are really nice. It is diverse. This isn't Mobile, Alabama. There are a lot of people here that are not from here. Again, Vandy is a really great school. You won't be stuck here if you do well in school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”