T90 School; asking for a friend

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Johann

Re: T90 School; asking for a friend

Postby Johann » Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 pm

grades?? wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
grades?? wrote:At best from a school in that range is a 50% of ever getting a job as a lawyer. The private sector for grads from those schools means small firms. Usually 40-50k a year, if you are one of the lucky ones. Good luck making 50k and paying off 200k.

The bolded isn't true, but, yeah, definitely do not take on 200K of debt to go to a school like this.

I mean its kinda true. The 90s of the USNews rankings is Chicago Kent, Texas AM, Louisville, LSU, Michigan State, Stetson, and WVU.

Lets pick the first, middle, and last of this list:

1- Chicago Kent: 56% legal jobs
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/kent/jobs/

2- LSU: 60% legal jobs
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/lsu/jobs/

3- WVU: 62% legal jobs
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/wvu/jobs/

I mean this is pretty f^%&ing close to a coins flip chance to ever work as a lawyer. Sure not exactly 50/50, but 60/40 doesn't make me feel that much better.

OP, do not go to any of these schools for anything but free. Even that it is a risky decision.

Most of those people ha father option to be an attorney making 40-50k and went another route. People leave law all the time when the pay is good. They leave exponentially more often when the pay is not good.
As a graduate from a school like this- worst outcome is doing doc review if you want to go the attorney route. Many people don't want to go that route.
60percent working law DOES NOT MEAN 40% couldn't get a law job.

Johann

Postby Johann » Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

joefresh wrote:Also started this thread to make sure I wasn't totally wrong in my belief that pretty much best case scenario out of a T2 is like 75k a year .... and a realistic outcome is 50k

So T2 is a no-go unless free?

Since when is a t90 school a Tt? Anything lower than like 50 that isn't dominating its region is a Ttt

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Johann wrote:
joefresh wrote:(I'm going to assume first person pronouns for simplicity sake)

Hello TLS,

I have been accepted to a T90 law school in a region I want to practice in. I'll be paying full price to attend. My goals are mostly PI but I could be persuaded into some other field. I will be taking out loans to fund the three years. My total debt load should not exceed $200,000 after the three years. I am dead set on having a career in law.

Let me know what you think!

If you're doing PI, debt isn't a concern but the PI opportunities out of schools ranked between 80-90 will probably be sort of shitty.

Stop telling people this, DUDE. There are people in Congress and in the Administration actively trying to make PSLF go away. I agree that it's probably going to be there, but unless you already have an executed promissory note, the risk of policy changing is real.

Johann

Postby Johann » Mon May 29, 2017 8:24 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Johann wrote:

Hello TLS,

I have been accepted to a T90 law school in a region I want to practice in. I'll be paying full price to attend. My goals are mostly PI but I could be persuaded into some other field. I will be taking out loans to fund the three years. My total debt load should not exceed $200,000 after the three years. I am dead set on having a career in law.

If you're doing PI, debt isn't a concern but the PI opportunities out of schools ranked between 80-90 will probably be sort of shitty.

Stop telling people this, DUDE. There are people in Congress and in the Administration actively trying to make PSLF go away. I agree that it's probably going to be there, but unless you already have an executed promissory note, the risk of policy changing is real.

All of the proposals I've seen have been for starting in 2018 law school entrants. But as of today it's still the law of the land, so not sure what advice I should be giving when these things have been floating around for half a decade now. Laws can change in anything. Taxes might go down on partnership income etc. who knows what will happen? But people starting law school 2017 or before will be fine.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:04 pm

Johann wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Johann wrote:

Hello TLS,

All of the proposals I've seen have been for starting in 2018 law school entrants. But as of today it's still the law of the land, so not sure what advice I should be giving when these things have been floating around for half a decade now. Laws can change in anything. Taxes might go down on partnership income etc. who knows what will happen? But people starting law school 2017 or before will be fine.

The advice you should be giving is, "don't take out a ridiculous amount of debt to go to a middling school." HTH.

Johann

Postby Johann » Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Johann wrote:
The advice you should be giving is, "don't take out a ridiculous amount of debt to go to a middling school." HTH.

But why? You are looking at the sticker loan Amount rather than the effectively paid debt. I graduated with 100s in the boat you're describing. Nobody is living like they have 200k of debt. They are living like they have an extra car payment/5% tax.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Johann wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Johann wrote:

But why? You are looking at the sticker loan Amount rather than the effectively paid debt. I graduated with 100s in the boat you're describing. Nobody is living like they have 200k of debt. They are living like they have an extra car payment/5% tax.

Because there are several things that could complicate how much you eventually pay back. Like PS job availability (from a shit school, at that). Or the uncertain existence of the program itself. I understand that you or people you know personally have managed to get halfway through a plan of scamming the taxpayers, but that doesn't make it a wise move for current 21 year-olds.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”